Dead Zander/Walleye

HOPPY4

Peter - I can't speak for Germany but I do know in the US there are lakes and species that would be better off if lots more were kept.

My usual lake - Tuckertown - is so overloaded with sunfish that they are stunted. In late summer and early fall, there are schools so large that when they are near the surface feeding on bugs it looks more like the wind rippling a large section of water.

The bluegill in this climate should get to well over a pound and not be uncommon. In two years of the wife fishing for them most times, we have yet to see one to ½lb. A couple other sunfish species should have occasional ones getting to 1½lbs and again, nothing over ½lb and very few that size.

Bear in mind this lake is over 8 miles in the main channel and another 4 miles in a secondary channel so it is large but even so is way overstocked.

We release all unless I need cut bait or live bait but I know we aren't doing the population any favors. I'm just too blamed lazy to bother with taking them home to clean and eat even though they are very tasty fish.

Crappie in this lake are much the same. Lots and lots of them but almost none of any size. Just too many competing for food.

What I cannot figure out is why the bass, striped bass, and flathead catfish population isn't larger with all the forage available to them. I've only lived in this area a couple of years and don't know for sure but my speculation is they were overharvested at one point and just haven't recovered yet.

Bass are the only fish on this lake where there are any keep limits in effect. There is a number limit and a "slot" limit which restricts the size you are allowed to keep. Normally a sign they are trying to keep a population up or let it recover. Again, taking sunfish and crappie would help that out since they compete directly with the pred fry for insects and small fish.

I'm afraid if the truth be told, the fact that I do not keep fish makes me less of a sportsman and responsible angler on this particular water - and many similar ones in the US.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, it may be that the bass and cats are targeting other species. Both prefer soft finned fish, and we both know what happens if you accidently stick your hand with the top spines of either gills or specks! Most apex predators will only target sunnies and the like if other, more "comfortable" fish are not available.

Just a thought.