Abu reflex and Flying Cs

molamola

Hello all you fishing people,

this is my first post. I've been using for quite a few years Abu's Reflex (18g with feathered hook) with lots of success for perch as well as the odd chub, pike and even the occasional flounder at Richmond upon Thames but now I can't find any anymore. I get through a lot of them with the Thames's snaggy bottom and am desperate. Anyone know of a source?

While I'm on about scarce lures I'm also having trouble locating 15g Flying Cs in the old colours ie the red and beige (oh! they have to be Mepps). It's probably a confidence thing but I'm really loathe to lure fish the Thames (tidal) without a whole bunch of them. Again, anyone Know where I can get a regular supply?

:confused:

molamola - first off, welcome to the forum.

Things tend to be sorta slow here weekends so you will often see a delay before you get an answer.

For the type of lures you are looking for, if you've no objections to mail order and specifically to mail order from the US, take a look at http://www.basspro.com and http://www.cabelas.com

Prices seem much lower than UK and are but with shipping, VAT, etc. you will wind up paying about £1 for each $1 of the listed price.

BassPro lists 11 lures and 4 "kits" of named Mepps lures. Set of 7 and prices from $14 to $20 for the set, depending on size. If you look at the panfish set, the "bream" they speak of is the US sunfish (bluegill and similar) rather than your bream. Completely different fish.

They also have many lures that are similar in design to the Mepps and some I think perform better.

Cabelas has about the same selection. More single-lure listings and fewer kits. I think the Mepps Aglia Spinners may be the specific one you are thinking of.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi and welcome to angler's Net. You'll find that members will usually post only if they can help you. If not you're unlikely to get a reply.

I can't help with the Flying C's. However you could try http://www.harrisangling.co.uk for Reflexes. I'm almost certain thry used to stock them.

However with Abu products now being distributed in the UK by Berkeley a lot of products are no longer imported here. Lack of demand is the reason given, and I'm especially saddened that the Abu Atom is no longer available here as it's my all all time favourite lure for pike and perch.

P.S. It may be worth doing a search at http://www.google.co.uk and looking out for Swedish sites for Abu lures.

[ 01. November 2002, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hello Molamola,

For Flying C's, you could try Steve Parton in Long Eaton, Notts. He is a trout tackle dealer and will make you Flying C lures to order, or at least he used to offer that service.

I don't have his number to hand, the address is Fields Farm Road and he has a website that is called sparton tackle or similar.

If that doesn't work try other trout tackle dealers such as John Norris (Penrith), Tom Saville (Nottingham).

If you can't find the numbers send me an email and I'll dig them out.

Hope this helps,

Tim Marks

Thanks for your help. I've managed to locate a supply of Flying C's from a game fishing shop, I should have remembered they're meant to be good for salmon(I haven't caught one from the Thames yet).

The Abu Reflex remains elusive though, I found pictures on Japanese web sites but the packaging suggests they're very old.

P.S. My winter lure fishing (re. Elton's post) is almost non-existent as I just don't feel confident I'm going to catch when it's cold.

Thanks again.

Nearly all my lure fishing is done in the winter these days and rarely do I blank. However it's a different tempo and the fish are often localised. But find a group of fish and you can quickly put together a big bag.

To find the fish I often use a spoon, my favourite being the Abu Atom I mentioned earlier,and on which I get many takes on the drop on days when the fish are active. On dour days the fish will usually be hugging the bottom but can often be taken with a dead slow retrieve.

To find the feeding depth on the day use the countdown method. Le the spoon flutter to the bottom counting how long it takes to do so, If it's not taken on the drop begin the retrieve. If this doesn't work try a slighter shorter count and so on.

Having found one fish you'll often catch another in the same spot, although after a few it may pay to change lures to perhaps a floating plug. Always choose one though that dives to the depth you were catching at.

Finally, bear in mind that it's never too cold to catch on lures. I've often caught by casting onto the top of ice and pulling spoons back into clear patches. Then the fun really begins!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net