River Wandle Merton

Mike Box

Hi ya

I am working i Merton near Sutton South London

While driving around i have come across the River Wandle near i believe Morden.

I have driven over the river in one or two places.

A few of questions

Is any of the Wandle free to fish in this area.

What species of fish are in it

And most important, what are the locals like, is it safe to fish on your own in this area.

Cheers

Mike

I think there have been a few pollution incidents in the last year or two that have set things back, but I've heard that there are chub, dace, roach and trout to be caught. The local schools have been helping out too:

http://www.wandletrust.org/?tag=fish

Merton is probably no worse than most parts of Sarf London - the main danger would probably be from submerged supermarket trolleys encountered whilst wading. ;)

Oh, and as far as I 'm aware, it's mostly free fishing. But you could check with Gerrys Tackle in Wimbledon.

http://www.gerrysofwimbledon.co.uk/

Edited by DavyR

Merton is probably no worse than most parts of Sarf London - the main danger would probably be from submerged supermarket trolleys encountered whilst wading. ;)

I'm not too sure about that! I lived there for several years and never fished the Wandle, simply because it felt so unsafe. I wouldn't fish there on my own, put it that way, and definitely not after dark.

It's a wonderful little chalk stream though, although being where it is, it is unfortunately blighted by fairly regular pollution incidents.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm not too sure about that! I lived there for several years and never fished the Wandle, simply because it felt so unsafe. I wouldn't fish there on my own, put it that way, and definitely not after dark.

It's a wonderful little chalk stream though, although being where it is, it is unfortunately blighted by fairly regular pollution incidents.

Morden Hall Park is private club so you cannot fish there.

There is plenty of free fishing however.

It's no pushover the fish are hard won.

I went last week and landed a carp - the only bite of a session.

Week before I had only one bite - was probably a carp as it shot off and I never saw it.

Mark

The river Wandle was hit badly by a pollution incident in September 2007.

A sewage treatment works at Beddington released chemicals which devastated a stretch of the river and many fish were killed. :(

The good news is that Thames Water coughed up £500,000 to go towards restocking of fish and the regeneration of the river.

Many volunteers in the Wandle Trust also regularly get together to clean up the river.

I found the following article through a google search and it sums up the latest news on the river.

http://www.theecologist.org/how_to_make_a_..._gem_river.html

I have fished the river regularly myself. I’ve snaffled nothing large but have caught lots of small fish. Other angling forums tell the tale of big fish such as carp, chub and barbel still coming out.

Not recovered to its pre pollution state but on its way. :)

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)