minnow trap

anglerusmaximus

Liam & I go 'jam jar' fishing down our local river Wey in the summer. All you need is a jam jar & some bread.

1. I use a large Helmans mayonaise jar or any large jar with a metal lid will do. Don't use one with a red lid, I know this sounds stupid but they do NOT like red lids. This is tried & tested so trust me. Blues lids are best.

2. Leave the lid on the jar & with a strong knive cut a cross from the centre out. This only needs to be about 3/4-1inch. Fold back the 'Vs' and flatten onto the inside of the lid.

3. Tie a long piece of string, I use nylon garden string. I wrap the string round twice before securing with a tight knot.

4. Wet the bread and leave in a plastic bag or box. You only need a small amount otherwise it blocks the hole.

4. With the bread inside & the lid tightly screwed on, lower into the margins to fill to the top, you need to lift it up and down until it is heavy enough to sink. Make sure all the air is out. If you can reach the water you can just fill it that way.

5. Gently swing the jar to the spot where the minnows are, don't worry about the splash they will come back.

6. Once in place just gently pull the string to lift the jar to remove any air bubbles. They won't go in if there is air in it.

7. Sit back have a cup of tea or set your rod up.

8. If you look you will see the bread moving about in the jar then you just pull it in and hey presto! a dozen or so minnows

Sounds very technical but it so easy and such an effective way of catching minnows. Liam and I have had over 100 in a half hour session.

lyn the minnow catcher!

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

take a plastic 1ltr coke bottle and put some stones in it, then cut the bottle about 4 inches from the top and turn it around then jam it into the body of the bottle, put some chopped worms insid it and lower it into the water, and hey presto a very effective minnow trap.

I've seen all sorts of things caught in fyke nets set for eels.

http://glei.nrri.umn.edu/default/fykenet.htm

http://www.fukuina.com/fishtraps/ftfn_fyke_net.htm

Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I don't meen to be a party pooper but I think you will find that the good old minnow trap is now outlawed under waterways legislation and is classified as a 'fixed engine'. Like fyke nets any fixed fish catching device needs permission and a licence for use.

Anyway if you wish to catch perch of a decent size I suggest that you use larger fish like roach, small perch or gudgeonfrom 3 to 5 inches. Minnows are more likely to catch small perch of just a few ounces rather than a better stamp of fish of say, a pound plus.

Alan.

Oh Alan ...that may well be true but I can't really see me in court for "Minnow fishin'".

"You see Sir..not only is the defendant an unsporting man who would prefer to argue his way through his Angling career but he is a callous and calculating killer of Baggies too M'lud....bang him up"

I wonder what the RSPBM (the Royal Society for the Protection of Baggy Minnows)would say?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

1) get a wine bottle with an indent at the end

2) knock out the indent using a back end of a knide

3) cover the neck of the bottle with a netting such as the ones you get with kiwi fruit, tie with an elastic band

4) insert bread through indent hole.

5) tie rope to bottle sling out where there are loads of minnows

6) wait about 10 mins pull up and you should have some

7) get to em by taking the netting off.

• 2 weeks later...
anglerusmaximus:

does anyonw here know how to catch minnows in a trap in the event of trying to catch perch, what is the best home made device for catching the little critters??

cheers lads

anglerusmaximus   :confused:      jar.jpg

while you're at it, see my website for other outdoors stuff you can make for free, as well as 2nd-hand angling and fish recipe books to clear; also free freshwater fish recipes:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jegs11/new/id194.htm

:cool: Jegs