River Fishing around Exeter

Bill Eborn

I am going down to Exeter at the weekend to stay with friends. I won't be able to get in any fishing in this weekend, but thought I might have a bit of a reccy for future reference, with a view to spendng a week down there in the Autumn.

I understand from my researches so far that their are a couple of stretches of the Culm and the Creedy fishable on an Exeter and District AA day/weekly ticket. The former having some decent Chub which suits me down to the ground as this is my favourite species accounting for the majority of my fishing as soon as we get proper English weather back again.

Can anybody confirm this and suggest any other stretches to look at. I understand that Exeter and District control a stretch of the Exe at Countess Weir as well, but are there any other stretches of the Exe which can be coarse fished particulalry above Exeter

Interestinger and interestinger.

Many thanks for the replies.

As I said in my thread I'm just on a reccy this time. My friends are having a party and as they are generally very good parties I cannot be too sure either of my own health or more importantly the security of my gear. Also as a non car owner I need to check out the feasibility of transporting my gear together with my pushbike down on the train. But Im looking forward to having a creep about with the polaroids on to see what I can find.

I'd be interested to know what coarse fishing is available on the Otter. I actually have a lot of local connections having lived in the area (Ottery St Mary in fact)for quite some time in the 1980s, although I wasnt fishing then (fool) and was generally busy being the angry young man. I was always under the impression that with the exception of the stretch above Budleigh, the Otter was restricted trout water.

Many, Many moons (early 80's in fact) ago whe I was at Uni. in Exeter I fished a millstream near Countess Weir (not quite sure if I was allowed but someone said it was free and I wasn't challenged - though I was asked for my Wessex rod licence...) anyways if you could avoid the eels there was some good bream to be had - only fished it 2 or 3 times after my finals but I always caught a decent bream or two...

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Many thanks for the replies.

Just back from my little reccy and very excited about the prospects for my return in the Autumn.

I had a look at the Exe, Culm and Creedy all of which are glorious in their different ways and as far as I can tell fishable on the Exeter and District ticket, although I will contact Exeter Angling Centre for precise details prior to going down again.

The Exe around Cowley where my friends live has got two arms one of which looks perfect for a spot of Waggler fishing for Roach and Bream, the other arm which is below a weir is pacier with gravel shallows, glides and the odd over hanging tree and raft I would guess for Dace, maybe Grayling and a poke about with the chubbing rod.

The stretch of the Culm between Columbjohn and Killerton is a delightful feature packed stretch that is very very chubby indeed.

I didnt get down to have a look at the tidal sections but spoke to a couple of anglers on Sunday who reported there being some good Pike and excellent Bream up to 10 lb.

As for the Otter I didnt make it down there this weekend but I know the river very well having walked down it countless times when I lived there. There are coarse fish there, lots of them. I'm sure if you could get permission to fish it you could do very well indeed.

Many thanks

Bill

[ 27. August 2002, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Bill Eborn ]