Disgusted

Guest Gaz

Guest Gaz

Yesterday I took the day off for a quiet days fishing on the lower bann at Newferry.Everything was going great guns,I,d caught a trio of bream to 7lb the roach were obliging and all was well with the world,not even a jet skier in site.Then I noticed from the side of my eye something lying further down the bank which turned out to be a dead pike which had more or less had its guts pulled out.This pike was at least 20 to 25lb in weight and was the third I,ve found this year.I am absolutely disgusted that anyone masquerading as an angler can do this. This river has been fished by all sorts of angling celebrities over the years,indeed John Wilson fished the very spot where I was yesterday,the river is teaming with pike of 20 to 30lb and there have been stories and pictures of 40lb monsters which I have no reason to doubt.The point I would like to make is that these fish are being hammered 52 weeks a year and some people treat them as if they are an inexaustable resorce.they are not and if people don,t watch out the piking in this river will go the way alot of others have gone ,ruined for generations. I,m sorry if this is a bit long but I just had to get it off my chest in the slim hope that maybe it would prick somebodys consience though I doubt it. I,m sure you have all experienced it at some time.

Gaz

Guest RobStubbs

Gaz,

Are you pointing the finger at anglers ? I may have missed something in your post but I saw nothing suggesting anglers had been involved. Could it not have died and pulled up by mink, or taken by otters etc.

Rob.

Guest Elton

The thought of finding a fish like this is disgusting, but are you sure it's anglers? To catch a 25lb pike, it's likely that you'd need to be fishing for them - let's face it, the chances of landing one on light line are quite slim. However, I am aware that it's possible.

Is it possible that the pike could be victims of otter predation or even, if there are jet skies there, victims of accidents. Pike often like to bask in the sun - perhaps one got hit.

I sincerely hope that this wasn't the result of somebody claiming to be a fisherman or woman mad.gif

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Gaz

I should have been more specific. It appeared to me that the fish had swallowed a trace and that it had been pulled out with its ,stomach. I have seen this before and all though it is not common it does happen.I have seen anglers be quite brutal with fish more through fear and ignorance.Elton I,m not sure if you know this river but on any given day it is possible to catch a twenty no probs we have had lots in this area and you will see bigger fish topping regular.I would never fish the bann with less than 20lb line,it would be stupid.I do agree that it could have been skiers or an otter but I have my doubts mainly because another angler told me that on this stretch in the past two weeks there had been a32lb and two 25lbs caught so the fish are in and around the area after spawning.I think I am just p----d off with this kind of thing going on.Earlier in the autumn there was a bad case of poaching on the lower bann and a lot af pike were taken with nets.I think it has been dealt with for now but because of the proliferation of pike it is a profitable attraction.In all the years I have been fishing I have never known a river with a more consistant catch rate, you would very rarely blank on it.This is what attracts anglers from all over the UK/Europe.I think there are so many big pike because they are feeding on the millions of eels that migrate up the river from lough neagh even though thousands of them are taken by the eel fishery which exports all over Europe.Enjoying the feedback Gaz

Guest Leon Roskilly
Originally posted by Gaz:

I should have been more specific. It appeared to me that the fish had swallowed a trace and that it had been pulled out with its ,stomach. Gaz

Hi Gaz,

If a fish is deep hooked, and the hooks cannot be released, gently pulling to bring the whole gut up into the mouth, is a tried and trusted approach. Once the hooks have been removed, the gut will usually return down the gullet if the pike is held vertical. Even if the gut does not immediately return, the fish will usually 'swallow' it, if it's gently nursed in the water.

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with a fish in this way - but too many noddies still heed the advice (from times past when fish were caught for the table), to count to 10 after the float has disappeard. frown.gif

Tight Lines - leon

Guest RobStubbs

Gaz,

OK it would appear that 'anglers' are the problem then. In that case it is very sad and a reflection, probably, on the lack of any supervision / training. All anglers need to be shown how to unhook any fish and especially pike. It took me a while to become proficient and it took me even longer to realise that barbed trebles were a big no no for pike. I am not familiar with the water, although it sounds like it has better pike than anywhere I've fished. Unfortunately that makes the matter worse as we all know pike do better when left alone.

I'm not sure what the answer is but it does sound like something needs to be done.

Rob.

Guest Gaz

Roy I totally agree with your comments. I don,t see the need for barbed hooks,they can cause irreversable damage especially when used by inexperienced anglers.As I said before I think the problem with pike is their reputation which seems to strike fear into many people the minute they are taken from the water.How many times have you seen someone fumble around trying to unhook a trace with the fish invariably thrashing about,I honestly think a fish can sense a fear which makes it even harder for the angler.I know that when I first started fishing for pike that I was reluctant to even handle a jack so I learned how to handle them by watching more experienced anglers.Nowadays I prefer to handle the big ones as I find them less trouble,the little ones are far to friskey. Leon As you say noddys count to ten and I must admit that I have been given this advice years ago but soon realised that it dos'nt work.Certainly you will catch your fish but you will also have to perform miracles to remove the hooks.The alternative I was given by a wise old man was when the float goes down to quickly say God Save The Queen and strike.This only works for unionists ha ha sorry just a bit of Ulster humour, apologies to any nationalists I'm not political. Tight Lines Gaz (-:

Guest Chris
Originally posted by Leon Roskilly:

Hi Gaz,

If a fish is deep hooked, and the hooks cannot be released, gently pulling to bring the whole gut up into the mouth, is a tried and trusted approach. Once the hooks have been removed, the gut will usually return down the gullet if the pike is held vertical. Even if the gut does not immediately return, the fish will usually 'swallow' it, if it's gently nursed in the water.

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with a fish in this way - but too many noddies still heed the advice (from times past when fish were caught for the table), to count to 10 after the float has disappeard. frown.gif

Tight Lines - leon

Well I have read some things in all my years of coarse fishing but nothing like this. Oh incase you are wondering I have well over 20 years coarse angling behind me. If and I say IF this be true then is it wise to publish it in this way. Also in all my years of coarse fishing I have never hooked a pike that deep nor have I ever seen one hooked that deep.

Guest David

Im sorry to hear of the awfull expereance and this kind of thing is one for the anti's.

We still have some anglers who feel all pike should be killed, I have had words more then once with anglers killing pike and leaving them on the bank. Its far better to catch and release and enjoy watching the fish swim away.

Hi Leon The method which you have described does work to an extent.I have witnessed experienced anglers perform small miracles on deep hooked fish for other less experienced guys who have got into trouble. I have helped people out mysef but if I am likely to cause a pike to much distress I will despatch it and bring it home to my father or other friends who will eat it.I am lucky I have this option as not everyone including myself would be partial to pike. Chris I appreciate your concern and sense your shock at whatcan and unfortunately does happen on occassions.I apologise if I have started a debate which gives fuel to the anti,it was not my intention.I can only use this forum to view my opinions and try to help other anglers if I can.However I learn far more from the forum than I could ever give back.You are a very lucky person to have never witnessed a deep hooked fish and I hope you never will but if you ever do Leons advice may help you maybe help someone else.However unpalatable somethings may be to read they are serving a purpose. Tight Lines and Lucky Fishing Gaz