Barbel-fishing

Swedish_Carper

Hi!

As my name might reaveal, I'm from Sweden. :)

Me and a friend of mine have discussed going to eighter England or Germany to catch our first barbels. The problem with Germany, according to my understanding, is that germans don't speak very good english and even though both me and my friend have studied german it's not enough to communicate well.

On the other hand, if we went to Germany we could take our own car the whole way which would be cheaper and enable us to bring all of our gear.

But if we went to England, there are som quastions that I need help with!

Our idea is to go on a weekend-trip that doesnt cost to much and our primary target is catching barbels, good size would of course be nice but the most importent is just catching barbels :)

• What river/rivers would ju suggest? (if we went I think we would fly to London so near London would be a plus)

What does the licence cost and how do we obtain it?

Any specific part of the river you would recommend?

Do you know any budget-accomondation you could recommend?

Other tips and recommendations?

One thing about England that scares us is that you drive on the "wrong side" of the road :D Rent a car feels a bit dangerous, but necessary :)

// Patric

Att leva är att uppleva

By far your best prospect for a quick Barbel fix will probably be the River Severn, unfortunately it's nowhere near London. It's not an area I know at all but someone on here will and hopefully they will be able to supply information about accommodation etc..

You will need a rod licence, this entitles you to use a fishing rod (two actually) and costs £3.75p for one day or £10.00 for an eight day licence.

The rod licence does not include the cost of the fishing, this has to be paid to whoever owns the fishing rights and varies from one place to another but is typically from about £5.00 to £10.00 per day - weekly tickets are also available in some places at more favourable rates.

We still drive on the correct side of the road, you used to, but decided to change in 1967.

When are you thinking of making this trip Patric?

Winter barbel fishing in England can be very slow and needs warm mild weather to be any good. If you come when the weather is cold you might not catch any barbel.

And don't forget England has a close season for coarse fishing on rivers, March 15th - June 15th.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

By far your best prospect for a quick Barbel fix will probably be the River Severn, unfortunately it's nowhere near London. It's not an area I know at all but someone on here will and hopefully they will be able to supply information about accommodation etc..

You will need a rod licence, this entitles you to use a fishing rod (two actually) and costs £3.75p for one day or £10.00 for an eight day licence.

The rod licence does not include the cost of the fishing, this has to be paid to whoever owns the fishing rights and varies from one place to another but is typically from about £5.00 to £10.00 per day - weekly tickets are also available in some places at more favourable rates.

We still drive on the correct side of the road, you used to, but decided to change in 1967.

Thanks for the helpful information! :)

I think I give up the "right or wrong side of the road"-discussion. Englishmen don't seem to like change and I don't think what I write here are going to change anyones mind ;) (but as I see it, we used to drive on the wrong side before 67 ;))

Att leva är att uppleva

When are you thinking of making this trip Patric?

Winter barbel fishing in England can be very slow and needs warm mild weather to be any good. If you come when the weather is cold you might not catch any barbel.

And don't forget England has a close season for coarse fishing on rivers, March 15th - June 15th.

I think we would go during the summer. But we talked about going in May (which I now, thanks to you, understand would be a bad idea) :)

Thanks for the info!

Att leva är att uppleva

Have a think about Holland. There are growing numbers in the Waal so I hear; and if you can get a flight to Birmingham you would be very handy for th eSevern/Teme/Wye. Lots of them there :D

Ok, thanks, gonna search for info about Holland to!

Yes, Birmingham would be nice, my friend whom I plan to take the trip with have spent a summer working at a fishery near Birmingham, so if we went there accomondation might be free. I'm going to take a look and see if there might be any flights to Birmingham that fit our budget :)

Att leva är att uppleva