preparing expander pellets

Roland

Hi all,

I'm going to give expander pellets a go and was looking for the easiest way to prepare them without a pump ? I have a choice of 2 or 4mm in the shed. I have only used them as dry and loose feed before.

All help appreciated

Ben

Hi all,

I'm going to give expander pellets a go and was looking for the easiest way to prepare them without a pump ? I have a choice of 2 or 4mm in the shed. I have only used them as dry and loose feed before.

All help appreciated

Ben

Hi if your intent is to use expander pellets around a method feeder they wont work because they arent sticky.

What you need to do is get some 2 or 3 mm normal carp pellets and put them into a large bait tub or similar and fill to cover them with water then stir just to make sure the water is penetrating them all , then leave them to soak for about 3 minutes and drain all the water off. Then stir them around just to loosen and aerate and then leave them for 20 minutes and then they ready to use.

I generally use a preston method mould because it moulds the precise amount of pellets around the feeder each time and therefore weighs the same each time making casting to a tight feature like an island easier .

You mention that u feed your expanders and was just curious as to whether you use the dynamite baits hook & feed sinking expanders because all other brands float unless prepared.

Buying a pellet pump would be the best investment but To prepare them without one simply place the required amount of dry pellets in a plastic bag and cover with water. Blow air into the bag so it’s fully inflated, tie the top of the bag and leave in the fridge over night and you have perfect sinking expanders .

Hope this helps :)

Put them in a bait box, fill them with water, leave it for 5 minutes then drain off the water and stick them in a plastic bag for half an hour to absorb the water.

Some brands of pellets still float at this stage, just get a handful and squeeze out the water and they should be fine. It doesnt matter if they are all squished and whatever for the feeder but if they are for the hook do the whole thing a little more delicately :D

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Put them in a bait box, fill them with water, leave it for 5 minutes then drain off the water and stick them in a plastic bag for half an hour to absorb the water.

Some brands of pellets still float at this stage, just get a handful and squeeze out the water and they should be fine. It doesnt matter if they are all squished and whatever for the feeder but if they are for the hook do the whole thing a little more delicately :D

The only pellets i know of that are gonna float at any stage will be expanders and their no good for the method because they arent sticky , it has to be normal pellets .

Edited by tony tinca

I can only talk from experience, and that has been with normal open end feeders, i have never used the method. I've found so long as you get all the water out expanders work ok, but like i said never fished the method so didn't realise they had to be sticky! Learn something new every day :D

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I can only talk from experience, and that has been with normal open end feeders, i have never used the method. I've found so long as you get all the water out expanders work ok, but like i said never fished the method so didn't realise they had to be sticky! Learn something new every day :D

I didnt realise you were talking about open ended feeders and i can understand the expanders working for that, its something ive never tried but makes good sense , so ive learnt something new as well :)