It was definately one of those days...

stooby

Morning all!

I managed to get out at the weekend to do a bit of deadbait/Lure fishing for Pike on the river... chomping at the bit and ready to go I headed down to the river... and in a nutshell this is how it went:

Catches = 0

Bites = 0

Lures lost due to terrible casting = 3

Traces lost due to terrible castling = 3

Hooked myself = 5 times at least!

Hooked other items = 3, including landing net and tackle box

Annoyance level (0-10 - 10 being hightest) = 11

It was one of those days where EVERYTHING was just going wrong, no matter what I done, I just done it badly.... However, it was still nice being out by the waters edge, even if most of the time I was staring up at my lures stuck in the tree, thinking, will I ever be good at this fishing lark! :D

I hope you had a better angling weekend than myself and I hope I am not the only one that has off days???

Cheers,

Stu...

Well I was in fact fishing with stooby (only for the morning though and my statistics were as follows)

Catches = 0

Bites = 0

Lures lost due to terrible casting = 1

Traces / trebbles lost due to terrible castling = 2

Hooked myself = 5 times at least!

Hooked other items = 5, including landing net and tackle box, every tree that was available

Annoyance level (0-10 - 10 being hightest) = 11

Must have been a curse on the river stooby :) or those UFO's as seen here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Threat-...s-t2853090.html

:D

Stooby,

Don't worry about it, the first time out is always your worst organised. You will soon get into your stride. I haven't fished for 12 months and I felt like I was all fingers and thumbs when I took to the water for the first time last week. My casting was off, so too was my abality to judge how much line had left the reel before I feathered it.

My score for 1.5hrs fishing on my local cut:

Lures lost= 1

Drop shot weight lost= 1

Traces chewed up 1

Hooked branches and reeds= x3

Time spent freeing a spinner from the landing net= 10 minutes and several pricked fingers.

Pike landed= 1 x6.5lbs

Bream landed= 1x dustbin lid (accidently foul hooked in the tail, so this fish does not count).

Annoyance level= 3

On the plus side it was a lovely day.

Regards,

Dave

Stooby,

Don't worry about it, the first time out is always your worst organised. You will soon get into your stride.

Thats just it, it wasn't my first time out, been fishing for about a year now, but although and in my defence :) , it was my first time Lure fishing! :huh:

Cheers,

Stu...

It didnt go as badly as your weekend by the sound of things but i still blanked. Nice sunny day though so not too bad

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Hi Stooby,

Since you haven't chucked lures before it's not surprising that you had a few mishaps. No matter how experienced you are you can still expect to lose a few lures every year - it's just part of the game. Trouble is they are getting quite expensive these days.

If you use braided lines in the 30-50lbs range (up to 80lbs if jerkbaiting) you should be able to retrieve almost all of your lures. Either the lure will come free or the hook will straighten with these breaking strains of line.

Just make sure that you don't use your rod or reel to pull the lure. Either wear a strong glove or wrap a towel round your hand before you wrap a loop of braid around it and pull hard. Even with a glove or towel it will still feel like the line is cutting through your hand.

Good luck.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

If you use braided lines in the 30-50lbs range (up to 80lbs if jerkbaiting) you should be able to retrieve almost all of your lures. Either the lure will come free or the hook will straighten with these breaking strains of line.

I think I should invest in getting braided line put on a spare spool, that should definately help for when I snag again! I was only using wire traces on 12lb main line.

Thanks again Hopinc!

Cheers,

Stu...

Hi Stooby,

I have Power Pro on all my multiplier reels, it lasts for years. Braid is unaffected by UV rays so it does not break down in sunlight like nylon monofilament does.

One of it's biggest advantages, apart from breaking strain to diameter ratio, is that it does not stretch (Nylon stretches by approx 20%). You can feel everything that is going on with your lure and your strikes are far more positive. Imparting action to baits such as spoons and jerkbaits is also much easier. Use a Palomar knot to attach your leader swivel to your main line.

Braid should be chosen relative to it's diameter, not it's breaking strain. Twelve pound to 15lb b.s. nylons are good choices for Pike, so correspondingly use 30-50 lbs braid, which is about the same diameter. For jerkbaiting you should step up to 80lb b.s. braid to avoid snap off's on casting out.

Another braided line that I have just started using but I feel I can recommend is Fox SoftSteel. It is nice to handle and a bit cheaper than most braids.

I hope this helps.

Tight lines.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave