pole float line

im back

I am starting back to fishing next month (new license day) after a 10 year break.I am making my float rigs myself at home.

can anyone please tell me what length i should make the float line as i expect i will go to a lot of strange waters to catch fish.

If i set it up for six feet i may find the water are 12 feet and visa versa set it up for 12 feet on a six foot water.

Or does it all depend on the type of floats i buy.

Also can any one tell me if i buy a bridgwater (somerset) license what waters am i limited to as i dont want to stray onto a water and be told by a bailiff i cant fish there.

hope someone can help me please.

many thanks-im back

Your licence will cover the whole of England, and don't worry too much about bailiff, as they seem to be as common as rocking horse poo. Pole experts will be here soon to answer your technical queries. Welcome back :)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Hi mate where abouts are you from because i'm in the ilminster area. The ilminster ticket is around 30 quid for the year and offers the canal (carp to 23lb), The isle river (Pike, chub etc) and Dillington pond which holds specimen perch among other fish.

All in all a cracking ticket and if it's not too far for you to travel i can recommend it!

I do very little pole fishing but what i do is make say a dozen rigs or more and just vary the depths on each so then you have rigs for all circumstances.

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Your rod licence is national.

By "bridgwater (somerset) license" do you mean your rod licence or a local club membership or permit?r

[/q

my rod license i understand i can use anywhere but i think its the water license. one i get from post offfice and the other from tackle shop?

cheers steve

I am starting back to fishing next month (new license day) after a 10 year break.I am making my float rigs myself at home.

can anyone please tell me what length i should make the float line as i expect i will go to a lot of strange waters to catch fish.

If i set it up for six feet i may find the water are 12 feet and visa versa set it up for 12 feet on a six foot water.

Or does it all depend on the type of floats i buy.

Also can any one tell me if i buy a bridgwater (somerset) license what waters am i limited to as i dont want to stray onto a water and be told by a bailiff i cant fish there.

hope someone can help me please.

many thanks-im back

Hi i make all my pole rigs to around 9ft and just adjust the depth at the venue.

If its deeper than 8ft then you just take the rig off and attach say 4ft of line via loop to loop method and re attach to pole and then plumb your depth , then you want about a foot of line left between float and pole tip , any longer you just cut down and tie another loop and attach back to pole tip .

Any deeper than about 10ft on the pole and i would be looking at catching mid water as its easier to fish effectively and more likely to be where the fish are feeding anyway .

some places it can be effective to fish the bottom on deep waters and the best method for this would be a rod and reel with slider float or at distance a feeder set up .

As far as pole floats go i would always fish as lighter float as i can get away with depending on conditions , if its windy then just go heavier to maintain a stable rig or in deeper water a slightly heavier float will be needed to stop the weight of the line dragging the float down .

Hope This helps im back :)

Edited by tony tinca

Hi i make all my pole rigs to around 9ft and just adjust the depth at the venue.

If its deeper than 8ft then you just take the rig off and attach say 4ft of line via loop to loop method and re attach to pole and then plumb your depth , then you want about a foot of line left between float and pole tip , any longer you just cut down and tie another loop and attach back to pole tip .

Any deeper than about 10ft on the pole and i would be looking at catching mid water as its easier to fish effectively and more likely to be where the fish are feeding anyway .

some places it can be effective to fish the bottom on deep waters and the best method for this would be a rod and reel with slider float or at distance a feeder set up .

As far as pole floats go i would always fish as lighter float as i can get away with depending on conditions , if its windy then just go heavier to maintain a stable rig or in deeper water a slightly heavier float will be needed to stop the weight of the line dragging the float down .

Hope This helps im back :)

many thanks tony tinca, i will take on board your suggestions and definatly try out what you say.cheers im back