Fishing weather

Guest Steve Burke

Guest Steve Randles

Chris S, Sorry mate, I'm not his point of sale. Chris is probably out fishing and no doubt he'll have something to say when he's back. Truth is I dont know myself.

Tight lines

Steve Randles.

Guest Ray Walton

Hi steve..did you hear about Stuart Morgan and Guy Robb's talk on 'Moon Phases' and effects on big fish catches, in Swindon a couple of months ago? I hear there were a few 'writ's' flying about around the room!

Guest chris lyons

It is quite simple to understand "possible" means "POSSIBLE"!! E.G IF 45FEET OF SNOW WATER COMES CASCADING DOWN YOUR SWIM ....DO NOT EXPECT TO CATCH!!!!OR IF A DISCO BOAT DISTURBS IT !! OR IF 101 OTHER FACTORS PUT THE MOCKERS ON THINGS, ONE CANNOT DO A THING ABOUT THAT. IT IS QUITE SIMPLE CHRIS S...IF THE CONDITIONS REMAIN AS THEY ARE, THEN MORE FISH WILL BE TAKEN WHEN I HAVE STATED AT THE WEEKEND THAN IN THE WEEK. IT IS FUNNY HOW I HAVE SO MUCH DIFFICULTY WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE VESTED INTERESTS. WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT IAM PICKING UP HERE. A QUESTION FOR STEVE BURKE, HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT FORM MY DATA ACCUMALATED TAKES I.E ANNECDOTAL, YOU CALL IT? WHEN I SAY I HOLD ENOUGH DATA TO BACK MY FINDINGS, THAN I HOLD ENOUGH. EVEN YOUR GOOD MATE STEVE RANDALS KNOWS THAT, PHONING ME TO PICK MY BRAINS, AND ASKING FOR DETAILS OF FISH CATCHES ON THIS SITE. WASNT BY ANY CHANCE GOING TO TRY AND MARKET YOUR OWN CHART WERE YOU STEVE...? THIS RUBBISH ABOUT CHRIS LYONS NAME CAME UP SO I THOUGHT I WOULD CONTACT HIM, WHAT TWO YEARS AFTER READING THE BIT IN A.T.? ANOTHER THING, CHRIS S , THE CHART IS NOT ABOUT MONEY, BEING THAT YOU APPEAR TO BE OBSESSED WITH THE COST AND HOW MUCH I HAVE MADE FROM IT, YOU PROBABLY WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND THAT EITHER. IT IS ABOUT SHOWING ANGLERS WHAT IS THE "MISSING" TRIGGERING LINK WHICH IS WHY FISH "SWITCH ON AND OFF" LIKE A "LIGHTSWITCH". MY BRIEF INVOLVEMENT WITH THIS SITE HAS BEEN LIKE DEALING WITH A BUNCH OF JEALOUS BRATS, NOW YOU CAN COME BACK WRITING " thats a bit strong chris". TALK ABOUT TALES OF THE PREDICTABLE!!

Guest Simon Newbould

Bloody 'ell Chris, I think you've lost it here.

As far as I'm aware there is no one on this site with a vested interest in supressing or ridiculing (or whatever else you seem to think it is) your information.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Steve sell tickets for his water on an annual basis? Now if it was Kevin ________s selling daily Withy Pool tickets at 50 quid a shot then I'd be tempted to agree with you, but that is NOT the case here!

All that's happened is you've strongly stated your opinions and experiences on this forum' You've spoken about your moon phase chart which may or may not give you an indication as to when is the best / or worst time to fish. Let's be honest, there are by your own admission SO many other factors involved in what makes the "perfect fishing conditions" that the worth of such a chart has to be neglible, as is taking note of the long term weather conditions. YES, your information MAY be of some use, it may even be indispensable, I don't know.... What other factors have you taken note of during your research? The weather? Anglers ability? location? fish density? or is it only the phase of the moon. This is not intended to be a facitious question, I am only wondering just how scientific your research has been?

I must admit I find it very strange that you feel the need to get out of your pram just because some people appear to doubt what you say smile.gif

Surely it's either time to either, using your own words, put up or shut up?

Take Care

Simon.

[This message has been edited by Simon Newbould (edited 13 July 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Simon Newbould (edited 13 July 2000).]

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Chris S:

PS: Elton, you have your first flame war.

Chris S        tongue.gif Bark At The Moon.

I hope not, Chris. This is an angling forum and people visit it to read about fishing. I'm not of the type who likes to 'moderate' things, but I will have to close this thread if it gets silly.

To all involved - I've been there and done that when it comes to flame wars, believe me. However, one day I realised just how much time and energy I was wasting on negative issues. Instead, I decided to steer clear of them and do something a bit more positive.

It's often said that it takes something terrible to make you put things into perspective. Unfortunately, I've had a few such experiences over the last couple of years and, whilst I hold opinions like the rest of us, I'd much rather be fishing, spending time with my wife/family/friends, or updating Anglers' Net than arguing with people who, when all is said and done, have more in common than me than most people I meet in life.

We're all anglers - let's not forget it.

There you go, now I'm going off topic smile.gif

Chill out, folks, (please!),

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Gaffer

Hi all,

This has gone from a debate to an argument and is now getting a bit silly, gents! frown.gif

Chris L, why don't you just sell them a chart?

After all 'the proof of the pudding...'

Calling people 'jealous brats' isn't the answer either!

Gaffer. wink.gif

Guest chris lyons

MY WORD CANNOT PEOPLE TAKE A BIT OF POLITE RIBBING!!!!! MR WALTON I would like to point out that Guy Robb wanted nothing to do with moons phases during his presentation with S.Morgan at swindon. MR NEWBOLD sorry to disappoint you, people do not decide how I feel,I decide. I have no desire to enter into pointless debate with you or anybody else regarding my data I have repeatedley put up facts on this site. Most of it ignored. People as always choosing to look at the differences rather than the similarities, in what iam saying with regard to my data and their fishing. Nitpicking,I have posted up some key days this too has been nitpicked by none other than my old favourite Chris S! Chris can you not understand that given the same conditions over the weekend as during the week fish will be more active at the weekend. I receive enough feedback from people benefiting from my information, as stated before, I do not need to prove anything its no skin off my nose if people decide to struggle in favourable conditions.

I have not stated that I have a chart for sale on this site, merely that I could be contacted through The Barbel Society if any other society wanted me to give talks(free) on this complex subject.

Guest Steve Burke

Chris, for goodness sake calm down. I'm on your side! I happen to think that your ideas could well be valid. So please read the following carefully before replying! It's a genuine attempt to help you.

I'm not accusing you of cooking the data if that's whay you're worried about. I didn't even say that you've just used anecdotal data as you can see from the extract I've copied below:

"Having studied statistics in my youth many mooons ago (sorry!), I wonder whether any statistical analysis has been done on the results. The problem with anecdotal reports of success using a product is that the good results are reported, the bad ones aren't or are glossed over. Just human nature I'm afraid."

Firstly, the key words are "I wonder whether......". Secondly, far more anglers are going to report back favourable results than the other way around. Those who have bad results simply won't contact you at all. Like it or not that *is* human nature.

By your reaction can I take it the data hasn't been statistically analysed? If so it wouldn't mean that it's wrong or is valueless. It would just mean that, however much data you have, at this stage you've got just a working hypothesis that requires testing. This is done by making predictions. The whole procedure is called the "scientific method" and is how advances in science are ratified. And make no mistake about it, this is science.

I went on to say "Chris has been brave enough to make various predictions based on his theories. It'll be interesting to hear both positive and negative results from readers."

This is one form of test. To be valid it has to have a large number of results otherwise they could be down to chance, and also other variables such as the weather could also upset the results. You will also have to define what constitutes a good or bad result as a lot will depend on the opinion of the angler reporting them. Statistically anaysis can then determine how likely that the results are in fact down to chance.

I *suspect* that the results will eventually show that the phase of the moon does indeed effect fish feeding times, but to what extend is likely to be the most interesting question.

Howeve,r it will be only one of the many factors that do so. Nevertheles, it will be a valuable study because anything at all that helps us catch fish is worth taking into account. Especially if, like me, you're lucky enough to be able to choose when you go fishing.