Reel question

kev7dags

Can anyone tell me if a centre pin reel is the same or similar to a fly fishing reel.They look similar to me in pictures I've seen.The reason I ask is I am going down to England (Derby) and wanted to do a spot of chubbing with a centre pin reel. Unfortunatly I do not as yet own a centre pin reel but I do own a fly reel.Also as a quick aside I was thinking of using an avon rod to do the fishing with, I assume this rod can be used with a centre pin. Sorry if this question seems silly but I have never fished a river before and need some advice.

Cheers

Yes, they're designed on the same principal. Will a fly reel work like a true centrepin - no.

A proper centrepin reel is designed to be extremely free running. A good reel will run for over 30 seconds and often much longer following a simple spin by hand. The reason for this is it's designed to spin purely due to the drag of the river on the float and line - you cast out and then the float trundles off downstream slowly pulling line from the reel as it goes thus enabling you to control the float with a thumb on the spool . A fly reel simply will not do that - they aren't designed to rotate in the same free manner.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

If you cant get a centerpin reel you can use a fixed spool reel with light lines, all you do is keep the bale arm open. The down side is that you an get in a mess if it is windy.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Kev, you'll be lucky if you can get a good centrepin second hand for anything other than silly money. As Diamond Geezer says, get a Leeds centrepin from Lewtham Engineering new for about £40, or a Shakespeare Lincoln, new for around the same price. Kirkgate Anglers in Leeds will be able to supply the Leeds mail order. The Shakespeare is available from Swifty's on special offer at the moment, (look on the FishingWarehouse website tackleshop).

Where's the 'ANY' key?

Wag:

Kev, you'll be lucky if you can get a good centrepin second hand for anything other than silly money. As Diamond Geezer says, get a Leeds centrepin from Lewtham Engineering new for about £40, or a Shakespeare Lincoln, new for around the same price. Kirkgate Anglers in Leeds will be able to supply the Leeds mail order. The Shakespeare is available from Swifty's on special offer at the moment, (look on the FishingWarehouse website tackleshop).

Shakespeare also do a Golden Eagle range, based apparently on an old Grice & Young design. £55 to £65 depending on model which seems reasonabe value and probably a step up from the Lincoln which is largely plastic and a sidecast design. Web page for Golden Eagles here

[ 24. September 2002, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.