braided line

dr bacardi

Brand definately seems to be important with braid. I've used Powerpro and Whiplash in 50 to 80lb BS and it's been 100% foolproof bar the odd wind knot when distance casting.

Trying out some cortland stuff atthe moment on my river setup, looks nice and thick which is good if your dragging through weed & snags

how did the cortland braid go? think you are right with having some decent stuff,thought about trying the 20lb

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be pretty good so far although I haven't got snagged up fully yet so haven't really tested the strength (usually the hook bends straight or the wire goes.

Only a matter of time though I'm sure, the river has some pretty big snags!

Edited by Neil G

• 1 month later...

I for one have found that Spiderwire is not the Best Braid on the market. I would rather use Power-Pro as it will Hold up BETTER! JMHO!!!!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

Im happy with both Spiderwire and PowerPro.I prefer the origonal Spiderwire to Stealth but thats only a personal thing.Ive not used the one shone in the link.

Selection of the correct size of braid is also very important.What were you wanting it for?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Im happy with both Spiderwire and PowerPro.I prefer the origonal Spiderwire to Stealth but thats only a personal thing.Ive not used the one shone in the link.

Selection of the correct size of braid is also very important.What were you wanting it for?

feeder fishing,pond and river

Yes as 20lb braid is similar diameter to 6lb mono your looking at the right size. I use 20lb Spiderwire for my general feeder fishing and for barbel.

do you just use braid straight through to hook?

No not for this sort of fishing.I tie on (double grinner knot) a length (about 10-12') of 6-8lb mono that I tie/build the rig in/on.I then use a slightly lower BS hook length.

Reasons for this are that I prefer to tie rigs in mono (double loop rig for example),it proptects the end of the braid fronm abbraision/wear and gives you a little bit of stretch to help cushion the hook length/hook hold.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!