LAMPREY

MikeyP

It depends how big they are.

Just cut them to the length you usually have your fish dead bait.

Rig them in the same way.

You will be suprised how long they stay "bloody".

Very good pike bait, especially in rivers.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I don,t know for sure, but I suspect the answer is no.

I have never had any problems getting the bait of my choice in Ireland.

If you know what areas you are fishing, you can always telephone the local tackle shop(s) in advance to order your bait, or just to check if its in stock.

Its been years since you needed to lug tons of groundbait, boilies etc to Ireland.

They are quite advanced over there.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Lamprey are my fav dead bait for pike except when the weather is really cold. I much prefer to use them whole and make up special traces for there use, two size 6 trebles four inches apart then six inches below the second treble I add to the wire trace a fine wire size 10 single hook to act as the bait holder. First treble is inserted lightly into the gill area of the lamprey, the second lightly nicked four inches below this. The single bait holder is then hooked in deep below the back bone and takes the force of the cast. Before casting out air is injected into the baits body near to the head end so that it pops up off of the bottom by the lenght of the trace, around 20 inches.

A superb method that I have used during the past five or six seasons and one that has accounted for many, and big pike. More often out fishing other methods, including lives.

However note that when the water gets cold enough for ice to begin to form, lamprey appear to be less effective than many other baits.

I have also used both live and freshly killed lamprey and can confirm that they are far more effective after they have been frozen. Freezing them seems to do something to the baits blood and juices that makes them more attractive to pike. It could be that the freezing process makes the blood more soluble in water.

Alan.

[ 09. March 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Alan Pearce ]

how much do Lamprey cost ?

and how many do you get for those amounts ?

can you refreeze them if they are stuck together or do they need fully thawing out to seperate . . I guess they are frozen ??

also are they only good for rivers or do they get results in still waters over say a dead bait (fresh)

also anyone care to attempt to put together a top 10 list of pike baits.

(1) Roach

(2) Lamprey

(3) little pike

I would be interested in seeing how the baits pan out . . also it would stop me carrying as many pike tempters to matches :P

maybe you could be really help full and put a suffix after the bait (Sp, Su, A, W) bait works best spring summer autumn winter . . and any tips on water condition would be nice too.

or can you point me somewhere on the web where it already is ??

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Strike quick as they seem to take it down quick. Thankfully I have never had a pike swallow on me but alot have had me going in through the gill covers to get the hooks.