Feed pellets:

davedave

Oh yeh they probably are expanders. Sorry i don't really use pellets much so don't know a great deal about them :lol:

Feed pellets are exactly what they say on the tin. You can normally buy the fishery's own feed pellets (because they know what they are and don't have to feed the fish themselves...lucrative eh?) straight over the counter or from animal feed suppliers. Some fisheries won't allow you to use anything but their feed pellets or branded pellets (expanders, softhookers, hard pellets) by brands they trust or just wish to profit from.

Feed pellets normally sink right away or as close to right away a makes no difference. Expanders float from the off, so they can either be used dry on the surface, or treated with a vacuum pump to expel air and absorb water/flavourings. Once treated with the vacuum pump, they'll sink like a stone.

You can leave them in water overnight but the results are hit and miss and the texture can vary. With the pump, the pellets remain in reasonable condition, whilst taking water onboard instantly.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Feed pellets are exactly what they say on the tin. You can normally buy the fishery's own feed pellets (because they know what they are and don't have to feed the fish themselves...lucrative eh?) straight over the counter or from animal feed suppliers. Some fisheries won't allow you to use anything but their feed pellets or branded pellets (expanders, softhookers, hard pellets) by brands they trust or just wish to profit from.

Feed pellets normally sink right away or as close to right away a makes no difference. Expanders float from the off, so they can either be used dry on the surface, or treated with a vacuum pump to expel air and absorb water/flavourings. Once treated with the vacuum pump, they'll sink like a stone.

You can leave them in water overnight but the results are hit and miss and the texture can vary. With the pump, the pellets remain in reasonable condition, whilst taking water onboard instantly.

Yes fisheries make a profit from pellets but they are a business.

Most use reliable brands such as Skettering to give their stocks a healthy feed.

Expanders can be pumped so that they obtain neutral buoancey and only just sink under the weight of the hook used - a very deadly bait fished either on the drop or just touching bottom where when disturbed flutters around looking as natural as a pellet can with a hook in it.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I'm not arguing. I was just giving the simple answer.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I'm not arguing. I was just giving the simple answer.

No probs

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Yes they are cheap 4mm expanders that you buy in the tackle shops for about £1.10. I've used them before but after several months of not using them i couldn't remember how i used to prepare them.

I think i will just take them in a bait box next time i go fishing, put some lake/canal water in, leave it for a few minutes then drain and leave again for half hour or something.

Thanks guys :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."