Whitby Pier Fishing

scottca

Hi All,

First time posting in the sea fishing section of AN! im a course fisherman normally but heading to Whitby this weekend and thought I would attempt a spot of mackeral fishing off the pier, have a couple of questions if thats ok?

- I currently have a float rod with 4lb mainline, I was planning to fish with a single lure - would this rod be sufficient - or

- I also have a 1.75tc rod with a 12lb mainline, would this be better?

if I cant use those I may invest in a cheap spinning rod - if I go down this route, would any of the reels above be up to the job?

Will i catch anything at this time of year? whats the best way of fishing off the pier, only hoping to catch 1 or 2 fish for dinner!

do I need any sort of license?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Edited by scottca

Craig unfortunatly mate the mackeral havent arrived yet they were very early last year at the end of may you are around 2 months to early if you venture down onto whitby beach at a place called upgange you may get one or two bass a rod and line setup a whitby angling supplies is very cheap if you need any directions to get to upgange i will give you them happily.

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks paul much appreciated.

ahh never mind regarding the mackeral, how likely is it I may get a bass? whats the best way of fishing for them? lure? as I dont live anywhere near the coast, in fact, im in Milton Keynes so the furthest point away I wanted to try and use or get a rod that would be up for coarse fishing as well to get most use - if its not possible, then not to worry ill take a look ay whitby angling supplies (out of curiosity, what sort of thing am I looking for / how much we talking?)

whats the rules regarding sea fishing and taking fish to eat - do you need a license like coarse fishing?

Thanks again,

Craig

Guest bbamboo

Whitby Pier not fished it for many years but used to catch cod in winter, flounders whiting and billet.

crabs are pleanty the harbour is always worth a try for eels and flatfish sometimes better than the pier.

Gary

Thanks paul much appreciated.

ahh never mind regarding the mackeral, how likely is it I may get a bass? whats the best way of fishing for them? lure? as I dont live anywhere near the coast, in fact, im in Milton Keynes so the furthest point away I wanted to try and use or get a rod that would be up for coarse fishing as well to get most use - if its not possible, then not to worry ill take a look ay whitby angling supplies (out of curiosity, what sort of thing am I looking for / how much we talking?)

whats the rules regarding sea fishing and taking fish to eat - do you need a license like coarse fishing?

Thanks again,

Craig

Give them a ring or look on there website you will get a setup for under £20 as far as catching bass is concerned of the sea wall at upgange the lads who fish it regulary can get half a dozen in session but its like all fishing its on the day you dont need a licence etc if the shop has ragworm then i would use rag if not they have frozen black gully worms you also get some nice dabs and flounders on that beach .

https://www.whitbyanglingsupplies.com/catalog/

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks Guys :)

Ill go into them when I get there - so with sea fishing, eiher off a pier or sea wall, silly question but do you float fish or just wait for a strike and feel it? I imagine its very different from coarse!