yuk ! - wot's in my groundbait

Bradford Angler

read the mice thread and thought I would check my seed store, all well. However, on inspecting my groundbaits - I have found little maggots with big brown round heads.

what are they - if anyone mentions SSSI then this thread is just a hypothetical one

they are in the brown crumb, bran and even in the stronger smelling continental additives. There are deffinate round entry holes into the GB bags too, one looks a bit like a collander.

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

They could be weevil grubs. A few years ago the Indian continental store down the road had a woman buying some naan bread things and they had small brown maggot type things inside them which were identified as weevils, mind you, that was because they were 10 months out of date. I've had problems with maggots in unopened bags of groundbait before, don't ask me how they manage to get in there but since I moved all my bait into a dark, cool place as opposed to in our basement/utility room which was quite warm and humid, I've had no problems, even in opened sacks of vitalin which I've had major problems with in the past, through it did prove a great place for collecting casters!

Could be:

Weevil larvae

Grain fly larvae (probably)

Woodworm.

You really don't want any of these three. Grain fly don't go away very quickly. Woodworm eat your house, Weevils eat all your food (they can even get into things like packet soup!).

They probably arrived as eggs in the bait in the first place, so don't worry too much. Use the bait ASAP (the fish don't mind too much), don't take it indoors.

When you get new, put it in a different bin (plastic brewers buckets are good, or cheap plastic dustbins), or it could carry on.

It happens to all of us, just thank your lucky stars it wasn't an expensive boilie mix.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org