Struggle to hook the fish

Jason

Over the past fue fishing trips on the kennet and avon canal on most day trips I have failed to hook between 15-20 fish. Ive striked upwards, sideways, diagonaly, before the float has gone completely under, a slight delay after the float has gone under....

I used a 13ft Drennan float/feeder rod on 3lb line, 3bb stillwater blue float using a size 20 drennan silverfish barbless hook with 1x or 2x maggots on the hook.

The tip of the drennan rod is very soft, with the action progressive.

When I have caught the silverfish, perch, rudd even though small in size they shake thier heads very fast with a certain amount of power and have on occasion slipped of the hook. Possibly a relfex attempt to escape due to the large number of pike in the canels? Could this contribute to the problem?

I fish roughtly close in, 6 ft out, 3-4ft deep. Could the short line distance between float and rod tip be causing me to not hook the fish?

Any help with this problem would be great.

TJ

06 Jaguar S Type 2.7 Twin Turbo V6D.

2012 Fish: Roach, Dace, Gudgeon, Perch, Eel, Bream/Roach Hybrid. Bream, Silver Bream, Carp, Pike.

Jas Uses: Drennan Rods, TFG Rods, Shimano Reels, Okuma Reels, 4lb & 3lb Maxima chameleon line, Drennan Double Strength 6lb line, Drennan Hooks to nylon 2lb to size 20 barbless & 1lb 10oz to size 22 barbless., Mustad hooks to nylon 3lb to size 16 barbless * 2lb 10oz to size 18 barbless, Drennan floats, Premier Floats, Middy Floats, Uni Floats, Camo Shot, Anchor Shot, Drennan & Middy Open Ended & Closed ended feeders, Unbranded ledger weights, Shakespeare seat boxes, Fox Tents and Luggage. Team Shakespeare Umbrellas And much, much more.

Try useing a bigger hook or a differnt pattern until one works with you. Which section of the canal do you fish?

Ive only started fishing the canal in the past 12 months, and have gone from one side to the other (that my canal fishing liscence covers). Not really focusing on one specific area untill recently. Most recent places are near bridge 142, 147 + 149 heading out of devizes towards woodbrough.

I useualy set up float fishing 1-2" off the bottom. Shot near the hook, I have caught 50% of my fish on the canal with the float "raising" bite. Notably decent sized roach.

I will try a bigger sized hook. 18-14 and see what happens. Thanks

TJ

06 Jaguar S Type 2.7 Twin Turbo V6D.

2012 Fish: Roach, Dace, Gudgeon, Perch, Eel, Bream/Roach Hybrid. Bream, Silver Bream, Carp, Pike.

Jas Uses: Drennan Rods, TFG Rods, Shimano Reels, Okuma Reels, 4lb & 3lb Maxima chameleon line, Drennan Double Strength 6lb line, Drennan Hooks to nylon 2lb to size 20 barbless & 1lb 10oz to size 22 barbless., Mustad hooks to nylon 3lb to size 16 barbless * 2lb 10oz to size 18 barbless, Drennan floats, Premier Floats, Middy Floats, Uni Floats, Camo Shot, Anchor Shot, Drennan & Middy Open Ended & Closed ended feeders, Unbranded ledger weights, Shakespeare seat boxes, Fox Tents and Luggage. Team Shakespeare Umbrellas And much, much more.

Make sure your hooks are sharp and maybe use micro barbed if allowed, it happens though and sometimes you just have to grin and bear it <_<

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

With the float, just tighten and lift and wind as you do so....don't strike as such.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Make sure your hooks are sharp and maybe use micro barbed if allowed, it happens though and sometimes you just have to grin and bear it <_<

I agree with Dave. I was fishing for trout once, and kept missing hook ups. An old guy fishing next to me told me to change hooks. I put a new hook on, and didn't have the problem again. I'd say be sure those hooks are sharp and fresh.

I agree with Dave and Cart Man. Also Andy has a very good point. You may be striking too hard and fast as you are fishing quite close to the rod tip. Try to keep the line from tip to float as straight as you can by 'mending line' as necessary, without impeding the float movement of course.

All you need to hook fish at close range and a fairly short line is a gentle twitch of the wrist at most. I 'discovered' this fishing boatyards as a boy.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Is the hook-point nice and exposed?? Could be the problem?

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Good point, be careful with baits like worm, corn, meat, and even some pellets because you think you will be able to strike through these baits but often you can't, leave the hook point exposed or you might lose a lot of fish <_<

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."