Landing Nets for lure fishing

Polly

Polly,

Providing the weather is not too bad (the forecast locally is reasonable) I will be having a dangle. How about the rest of the An members following this post, how about a mini fish-in? I really need to rub shoulders with some good anglers to see how it is done and Swanton Morley certainly represents a challenge, just ask Polly!

Anyone up for it, tickets are £5 on the bank and there is lots of water to fish with, allegedly some serious fish in there.

Ginger AKA Pete

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to come into the debate so late BUT the best net I have found bynfar is sold by Kev Baynes in Stoke on Trent good mesh DEAD LIGHT and fish friendly and last but not least not too dear any one needs info gladly try to help

just a footnote any one in Staffs/Cheshire should try to pop in Anglers Workshops Baynes is a hero no crap and loads of good ideas if not always what you want to hear which is refreshing

The Diamond Geezer:

I like the sound of the mesh that Peter Waller is using, but in the meantime, is there anything wrong with this?

lurenet.jpg

Looks remarkably un-used :D and would look a lot better with a fish in it :P .

Newt:

Newt:

Newt, I confess I've never seen one of the rubber meshes, let alone used one. What's the largest size available?

Not positive about the largest. Mine is 21" x 24" at the opening and will expand down to over 36" with the weight of a fish if needed. From the fit, I suspect the net would easily fit on a larger ring though - possibly to 30" but at least to 28".

I think the best bet would be to order only the net part since you don't need to ship the weight of the handle and I think the UK ones are probably better in many cases. I can try to source them if anyone is interested. I bought one from BassPro but at the store and haven't checked the catalog there or Cabelas to see if they list the net-only for sale.

And if it wasn't obvious from the picture, no knots.

Yes please Newt! In the past the rubber jobs that I have seen have been knotted, albeit the knot has been covered in rubber. And as has been said, illegal in the UK. But now they are knotless then great! Tell us more please Newt.

Peter,

The nets similar to the one in the picture newt posted have a hoop diameter of up to 24". Some fold in half to reduce amount of space being used. Most have handles that telescope up to about 36" in length.

The nets are made of a single piece web of rubber. No knots at all.

JT Bagwell

Contact me any time: Facebook.com/Bagwell or Facebook.com/BagwellsBassTactics or Twitter.com/JeremiahBagwell

I have been using the Titeweave Pikemesh landing net designed by Steve and Caliber Tackle for around 5 years. This I consider to be simply the best. Hooks dont ever get caught in the mesh and more importantly the size of the mesh does not mash up the pikes fins. Some of the so called'lure nets' are made from mesh that is too harsh whilst the dia. of the mesh holes are far too large and cause damage to the fins and tails.

For my money the Titeweave Pikemesh is by far the best ever produced.

Alan.

Peter Waller:

Peter Waller:

I like the sound of the mesh that Peter Waller is using, but in the meantime, is there anything wrong with this?

lurenet.jpg

Looks remarkably un-used :D and would look a lot better with a fish in it :P .
Peter

That's the "Before" photo, you silly-billy

DG

Tim Kelly:

Tim Kelly:

lurenet.jpg

A handle would be useful?!
Well spotted, Smarty-pants! That's why you're the Chairman of the LAS and I'm not! Anyway, just to keep you happy, here's one I prepared earlier

gyenett.gif

and in case you're wondering, it's a gye net with leather strap.

But as Polly's original posting/enquiry was about folding-handled nets, ehere an URL for some

sharpes.net/sharpes/FoldingArmL...andingNets.html

DG

<small>[ 13. January 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]</small>