Shimano Baitrunners

jonboy walton

I have two of the pre 2002 reels and have had no problems with them. However a friend of mine bought 3 of the new models this year and ended up sending the whole lot back. Apparently the clutches are rubbish, i.e. they slip even when tightened right up. In the area that I live in (Somerset) quite a few have been returned for various reasons. Is this just a dodgy batch, or has anybody else had any problems with the new versions?

:confused: :confused:

Jon

jonboy walton,

Are you talking about the New US Baitrunners, the B Series? I do not have any of the European version, but have been around them. One of the tackle stores that I frequent has them and the dealer has not mentioned returns. That said, he might not want it known as well. Our friendship is such that he would advies on most things. The original version of the US model has performed all the requirements that freash and salt water can throw at it thus far. I was angry about the cost of the replacement spools when they came out. As I can see now via the internet, they are now available for $24.00 a piece. Originally, I was quoted a price of $60.00 from the factory and that was a NO GO!!!!!!

[ 08. January 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: HOPPY4 ]

HOPPY

Thought I'd bring this to the top as it's quite an interesting post( to those that have bought the new baitrunners anyway,and those who are contemplating buying them).

I got 3 new ones in September( 6000 GTE),and didn't notice any problems,untill i was out on Sunday.While reeling in a 2oz lead and a big roach ,the reel seemed to be under strain,and the spool was shuddering.Now I have had this happen on the first baitrunners I ever had but they were 3 year old, and you do expect a bit of wear,but on reels that are not 5 months old yet?, don't think so.Will get the reels out and check them for the drag though,and swap the spools around to see if it happens again at the week-end.Will check 'em carefully and will update this post.

If I do notice any prob's ,it's back to the shop were they came from for replacements. :rolleyes:

Hi Johnboy,

well I had the rods/reels out tonight re-tying knots,checking traces etc etc,so as I said, I checked the drag on all 3 reels.I screwed 'em up tight( ooh 'er) and gave the line a fair old pull( double ooh 'er) and the drag didn't give way.Then i tried to move the spool by hand and it did turn, but very begrudginly.I would'nt class that as a fault,but as in my last post I also mentioned the spool shudder,I will have to suss that one out while actually fishing.Will let you know.To be honest,after having the reels a few months,they are a lot smoother than their predecessors,but there's something that tells me the build quality is just not the same.This is a personal view,and i would love to be proved wrong.Time will tell! :P:P

Well,was using two of the reels today fishing for Pike.No problems at all with them today,no dodgy drag,or spool shuddering.In fact the clutch worked well playing the 25.12oz :D:D:D .So it could be just a faulty batch,or your friend was just really unlucky in that he just got 3 really bad reels from the one shop. :D

I saw my first 3500B today. Lady I was fishing with has one. Wow. Compared to the size of my older 3500, the thing is large. At least as big as a 4500 and maybe a little larger.

She keeps good track of such things and says so far she has caught over 420 lbs of carp with it and it is doing quite well. To the point she may buy 3 more and retire her C3 multipliers for a while.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Piker

I think there must be a lot of unlucky people down here, as my friend wasn't/isn't the only one to have problems with these reels. It appears that Shimano quality is not what it used to be, as the Realtree jackets are also being sent back as they are not breathable or waterproof as in the spec. Have Shimano transfered all their production to the Far East?

Jon :(