Mullet help

Guest sslatter

Guest sslatter

Hi all…

I’m posting in the hope that one of the mulleteers here can point me in the right direction. I want to buy a new float rod for the forthcoming mullet season down here, and I’m finding it rather frustrating to say the least. My old trusty carbon match rod (13’ through action, line up to 5lb b.s.) began to feel rather heavy last summer, especially when I tried my mate’s new match rod. So I’ve been looking for a new through action (13’ minimum) rod that will handle 5lb line max, (maybe even 6lb?) but one that doesn’t feel like a pike rod at the butt end, and a ¾ oz quiver at the other. Every one that I try seems to be manufactured with the carp match in mind, with what I would call a ‘fast’ action. They feel like pigs. I’ve ‘phoned up different dealers about five different rods (that I haven’t been able to handle because local dealers don’t stock them) and they’ve been variously described as ‘through’ ‘medium’ and ‘fast’ by three different dealers on the ‘phone. None of them seems to agree on anything. Every ‘through’ action rod I’ve tried or seen advertised can’t handle line over 4lb. Some can’t even handle that. I can’t afford much over £50 so a carbonactive is out of the question, much as I would like one. I’ve been looking at the new 2003 Shakespeare range, some of which look interesting, and there appear to be some mega deals on these rods, at one mail order dealer in particular. Some are a third off the r.r.p. However, the only ones that can handle line over 4lb b.s. have the dreaded ‘carp match’ or ‘power’ suffix. Like I wrote, any rod that I’ve already tried that had that in its name felt like an absolute dog, really ‘toppy’ if you know what I mean. Anyway, any tips/suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

[ 27. January 2003, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

My suggestion for a rod wuld be the masterline (john Wilson) heritage avon rod. I own one of these and although not used it for mullet i find it can handle itself with chub, tench and medium size carp. lines from 3 to 6 pounds BS. two tops quiver and standard, through action. check it out.

Peter

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/