Spectra® Braided Lines (Newt)

The Diamond Geezer

Newt, please also check-out my posting here about Spectra braids, PowerPro etc. I think you owe me one, as they say.

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

DG - PowerPro is a spectra line but not braided at all.

quote:

Are you
sure
about that, Newt?!

See here and here and

[ 15. April 2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Aw DG - what to they know? :D

Yup. I think I said it wrong with this one but the PowerPro stuff does not look, feel, or behave like any normal braid. At all.

But there are places (not including the PowerPro web site BTW) where they do mention it being a braided Spectra® line.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

I have just 3 words to say about PowerPro, It Is Awesome.

I love that stuff. It is tuff and has no stretch which is perfect for getting a solid hookset.

JT Bagwell

Contact me any time: Facebook.com/Bagwell or Facebook.com/BagwellsBassTactics or Twitter.com/JeremiahBagwell

quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah T. Bagwell:

I have just 3 words to say about PowerPro, It Is Awesome. I love that stuff. It is tuff (
tough?
and has no stretch which is perfect for getting a solid hookset.

JT Bagwell

Yeah, but have you tried TUF-Line? :confused:

DG :cool:

[ 16. April 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

DG, You definitely have me there. I have never used Tuf-Line.
JT Bagwell

JTB,

TUF-Line is readily available in the USA, and is cheaper than Powerpro and, in my opinion, much better, especially in BSs of 50 lb and below.

Check-out this review of TUF-Line here

You also have Berkley Whiplash & Spiderwire Stealth, and, if you prefer a fusion line, Berkley Fireline..... spoilt for choice, in fact, and loads cheaper than we can get it over here in the UK.

DG,

I had a bad experience with Spiderwire Stealth. I was given a spool of 30lb test by a rep. I spooled it up and headed for the river. On the very first cast the line snapped at my reel. Of course it gave me the worst backlash in history. A week or two later I ran into the factory rep again while shopping and I told him about how the line snapped. His response was "Really, you are the third person to tell me that".

In my opinion thats not a good sign.

JT Bagwell

Contact me any time: Facebook.com/Bagwell or Facebook.com/BagwellsBassTactics or Twitter.com/JeremiahBagwell

DG - I was a fireline user before I tried PowerPro. Not in the same class IMO and my remaining fireline is gathering dust.

Haven't tried any of the others. Also haven't tried any of the Dyneema (gel-spun polyethylene fiber) braids. Specs on the ones I've read about are similar to PowerPro but price is higher.

I use all PowerPro these days (spinning and casting gear) except for a couple of lure applications where I need a sinking line and for those I use Cabela's fluorocarbon line.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

DG - I was a fireline user before I tried PowerPro. Not in the same class IMO and my remaining fireline is gathering dust.

Haven't tried any of the others. Also haven't tried any of the Dyneema (gel-spun polyethylene fiber) braids. Specs on the ones I've read about are similar to PowerPro but price is higher.

I use all PowerPro these days (spinning and casting gear) except for a couple of lure applications where I need a sinking line and for those I use Cabela's fluorocarbon line.

Lines, and fishing in general, can be a very personal thing, so it's whatever floats your boat (makes you happy!)

P.S. Newt, there are, of course, sinking braids available!

[ 17. April 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

DG,

I had a bad experience with Spiderwire Stealth. I was given a spool of 30lb test by a rep. I spooled it up and headed for the river. On the very first cast the line snapped at my reel. Of course it gave me the worst backlash in history. A week or two later I ran into the factory rep again while shopping and I told him about how the line snapped. His response was "Really, you are the third person to tell me that".

In my opinion thats not a good sign.

JT Bagwell

You're right, JTB, it's a very bad sign :mad: . I take note of your experience with it! Thanks