B&B in Ireland.

Graham B

Try Shannonbridge. Look for where-to-stay in ireland. There's a shop + lure shop in Shannon bridge and a tackle shop not to far away

There's a fish n chip shop there too

http://www.stayinireland.com/

DG

[ 10. February 2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

A good b&b in Athlone is

Mrs M Linane

Burren Lodge

Dublin Road

Athlone

Excellent accomodation and access not only to River Shannon but also Lough Ree, River Inny and many other waters.

No tackle shop though, best to preorder bait and collect on day of arrival.

Sean Egan in Athlone is excellent and also offers accomodation.

If you require any more information let me know

gorton:

Athlone ... No tackle shop though,

I thought there were at least two tackle shops in Athlone, right down by the river / harbour (unless they've closed-down in the last year)

e.g. The Strand Fishing Tackle Shop The Strand Athlone Tel: (0902) 79277 Fax:

(0902) 79277.

http://www.strandfishingtackle.8m.com/

DG :confused:

[ 10. February 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I slipped up over the shannon bridge name - DG

aparantly any where on the shannon that a bridge spans the water and ya got Shannon Bridge . .

are you talking killeens ?

if so have you fished it over the last years ??

and where about did you stop ??

costs ??

tackle safety ??

we stopped up the road (bout 4 miles from shannon bridge, the whole lot inc red eye ferry and the 4 o'clocker back 7 days later ran to 265 not including guiness or bait money (note the order in which they came)

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Buy your bait over here at Netto or Aldi(or some similar shop). Only like 20p a tin.Sweet corn.

Just take it over. Also for pike im sure the local shops will have fresh fish. other than that take some spinners or lures. Nothing else you can do really apart from fly and netting lol. Most tackle shops and some hotels stock worms! If the worst comes to the worst dig up your own in a field that is owned by Either A. No one

B. the same person that runs ur hotel. C. You.

P.s dont dig up a field of wheat lol.

All you really need is worms and sweetcorn as hookbait! Sweetcorn takes most.

Brown Crumb is your groundbaid with a few additives and VDE liquid. Or on its own if you like but i prefer to mix it with some other sweet or fishy flavour G/bait!

Feeder also takes the most fish on the big loughs and traulling takes the most pike in these huge loughs!

Hope this helps.

Matt.

[ 11. February 2003, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: monkeyboy ]

Bradford Angler

There is only one place called Shannonbridge, have been going to Ireland in late May for the last 15 years based in Athlone but always manage to get to Shannonbridge at some time during the holiday.

Fishing still good whether above the roadbridge (about 300 yards up upstream right bank) on even on the Suck where it joins the Shannon(excellent for tench, bream, rudd and lots of pike)plus also hot water stretch below the power station fantastic for tench you can expect fish certainly up to 7lb. Although this venue has been spoilt due to some anglers misbehaving on the farmers land (why is it always the few who spoil it for everybody)and you can now only fish a few swims directly at the end of the road by the railway bridge.

We travel from Liverpool on the supercat (far better than the ferry) taking a minibus and it costs us about £200pp including the b&b in Athlone.

Killeen's is still there and a good place to start as guests fill in a visitors book and it can give you a good idea of wheres fishing. Maisies next door is also excellent for eats and the black stuff.

There is tackle sold at the local store in Shannonbridge but it certainly wont satisfy all your requirements and is no good for bait either. Bait should be preordered and some suppliers will even deliver it to your digs.

Anyway it doesn't matter if you dont catch its worth going just for a proper pint of Guinness.

Bradford Angler:

I slipped up over the shannon bridge name - DG apparently any where on the shannon that a bridge spans the water and ya got Shannon Bridge . .

shnbdg.jpg

And of course there's:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/reviews/murphy01.htm

D :cool: G

[ 12. February 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]