Zander Cull

Guest JackPike

Guest JackPike

What does everyone think about the proposed zander cull organised by the E.A in the Midlands?. Do,nt forget about the pike match on Sun 18th Feb. J.P

Guest waterman1013

JackPike

I think it a shame in these supposedly enlightened times that the EA can be persuaded by water owners to indulge in management techniques that are questionable to say the least.

It is accepted by most owners and controllers that the removal of numbers of any predator leads to an explosion of large numbers of small predators of the same species. viz Pike. I do not see why the situation should be any different with zander. Surely all they will do is end up with an even bigger population of small zander, which will eat even more silver fish than the population they already have.

Most sections of rivers with established populations of zander have now settled down and they produce zander of all sizes, other fish thrive and no one worries. It seems to be only in the Midlands (BAA waters?) where predators are not valued or even understood in terms if their position in the environment.

Guest JackPike

Well Mal you know what these nancy carp anglers are like anything under 69 f they go into hibernation till June.J.P

[This message has been edited by JackPike (edited 18 February 2001).]

Guest paul mc

hi all

I personally think that nature has its own natural balance(i am no expert though). My local lake got netted a couple of years ago and they removed all the pike, or so they thought. Now there are lots of small pike and lots of smaller fish and no increase in bigger fish. They also(in all their wisdom) killed all the weeds for the matchmen aswell and the place is only now getting back to what it uused to be. In my opinion two or three years wasted.

Regards Paul Mc

Guest andy jack

Hi Jack Pike

This nancy carp angler was out doing it for real, whilst you were writing this original thread. Now unless you have a lap top in your shelter I think it is fair to say you wern't. Bl***y brass monkeys as well mate. eek.gif

Guest JackPike

Thanks Waterman a great reply, you hit the nail on its head. Certain type of anglers seen to have the say on what lives and what

dies.Next time we go fishing and catch a 4lb roach knock it on its head because it eats too many watersnail and daphias. J.P

Guest JackPike

Well Andy Jack I did this post 5 minuets before I went to work this morning for 4.00am. I will on the bank at 7.30am this sunday ,care to join us.Jack Pike

Guest andy jack

I would love to mate, only trouble is I have used up all my brownie points allready this week. I thaught it was only me and the post man, that goes to work in the middle of the night?

Guest JackPike

Well Andy Jack You must of lived a sheltered life under your bivvie among all your home comforts trying to catch over grown domesticated goldfish. J.P