The Times Debate - Should Angling be Banned?

waterman1013

Martin 'phoned me just after the furore subsided and thanked me for manning the barricades, as it were (he had also been directing media inquiries to me!). I sent Elton the subsequent press release, which is posted on the AnglersNet home page (not the forums home page) under 'press releases'. Not sure how to add the link here, though.

[ 04. May 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Bruno - if you have your browser set so you get "frames" with the stuff on the left side, the article on the right, and the URL at top showing the same all the time, you can right-click within the article/press release and go to properties. That will show the url of the article itself and you can copy that and paste it in here. I think this is the one you wanted.

http://anglersnet.co.uk/news/articles/221.html

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Oh well, I've just done my bit. It will be interesting to see how they present the responses. Does anybody know when they are due to be published?

"Scientists at the Roslin Institute have discovered that if you inject a poison into a fish, reactions will occur that may be detected with their scientific instruments. They also discovered that there was no reaction when the fish were injected with a harmless saline solution. If this proves anything, it is that fish suffer distress from a poison (e.g. pollution), but do not react to the syringe itself (the hook). Anglers will be shocked at the pointless barbarity of these experiments, while the non-angling general public will not give them a second thought as they continue to tuck into their crushed and suffocated cod. Will the so-called animal activists now be preparing to abandon their picket of Huntingdon Life Sciences, and embarking upon the long trek up to Edinburgh University. Probably not, as they know that the non-angling public would treat their efforts with apathy or derision. This is why it is always left to angling bodies to fight for the long term preservation of the fishes' habitat, against the pernicious effects of pollution and abstraction. The public only complain in the aftermath, when they are offended by the smell of all the rotting fish."

I've only just realised that I went well past the word count, so I suppose that's one ruled out.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.