best fishing spots riversevern between ironbridge and bewdley

ellis88

can anyone tell where is good to fish (hoping for some nice barbel,roach,chub) on the river severn between ironbirdge and bewdley. me and some friends are night fishing it on monday night and are oping for a good night

any help appreciated

SLAYER!!!!!!!!

The Severn is on the way up at the mo, 4ft reported at Shrewsbury and the promise of more rain to come.

Nighting the Severn is tough, the BAA control most good spots and theres a strict no night fishing rule. The only areas I could think of would be Bridgnorth (well, theres another but I fish it!!!!)

Actually, its either Dawley or telford anglers who have the stretch oppostie the pump house at Buildwas (a mile up from the middle of Ironbridge) Thats done some decent barbel and I`ve had chub and roach from there on the float. I know its nighted as well, you should try getting on the hot swims in the summer!!

wolf.gif

ellis88,

Severn Wolf is right, the river is up. If my son (I believe you are young guys) was intending to fish a river like the Severn, at night, in flood, in winter I am not sure I'd be too happy for reasons of safety. You sure you can't wait a while? Fishing will be better also.

is it really not worth going? yes gobio we are young anglers but we are also all strong swimmers and none of us are wreckless near the waters edge. however i can understand the concern as the river is rising. last time we went the river rose a hell of alot in the short space of time we were there (20 hours) and it was quite alarming. if the fishing may not be good i dont think we will bother going.

SLAYER!!!!!!!!

ellis88,

The Severn is a powerful, dangerous river. Last week it was in fine condition but it is in spate right now. You guys may be strong swimmers but it gets very cold at night and the banks get slippery and I'm sure you'll all be wearing tons of clothing and boots. I'm sure the fishing won't be up to much, sure you get the odd good barbel in the winter but the summer is much better. When I was a teenager my friends and I had great fun night fishing in summer...winter is a different story, sorry to sound like a killjoy.

The word today is that theres 10ft on at Shrewsbury and theres still rain in the air. Flood warnings have been issued down the river. (not going to be THAT bad though).

That bulge of water will be with us on the Middle in a day or so.

Personally I`d wait for better conditions, fishing the Severn in flood can be dodgy at the best of times, in the dark its downright dangerous. Ellis, you guys may be good swimmers but believe me, against the currents in the Severn you`ve got no chance at all, they are a lot more powerful that you`d think. Good swimmers have drowned in the middle of summer let alone with a few feet of extra water in winter. Go in there in the dark and theres a good chance you won`t get back out again.

Leave it until it drops off a bit. The water temperature has dropped like a stone and the fish won`t be feeding anyway, hence me being at work on a Sunday afternoon!!

[ 13. February 2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Severn Wolf ]

wolf.gif

Have to echo what SW & Gobio have said! Leave the Severn alone when she's in flood, let alone fishing her at night!

I've still to develope some pics taken in 2003 (If i remember the year correctly), when she'd been the highest ever for years. Quite a sight to see water where water had never been before. Stood on Buildwas road bridge taking some pics - it has to be said i didn't stay too long!

Hiya Bish.

Cheers for the PM mate, well worth a prod down there if the lady of the river smiles soon. Give me a buzz if you fancy getting out.

I remember sitting on the bench next to Bridgnorth town bridge a few years back with the barbel rod in hand and the water lapping at my boots. Thats was pretty high!!!! You know what, never had a touch........

wolf.gif

I fish the Severn a lot at night, and whenever it is in flood (particularly with SW rain at this time of the year) then it is definitely worth a visit.

It is crucial though that swims are chosen with utmost care and it is not ideal for the inexperienced angler to go straight into night floodwater fishing.

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal

thanks alot guys for the advice i think we will be steering clear of night fishing and may just go in the day if at all....

has anyone fished millride fisheries in essington near wolverhampton??

SLAYER!!!!!!!!