Alan Baines

RUDD

Anyone read any of Alan Baines books.

I have just bought two second hand and printed in the eighties.

I have :" Float Fishing" and "Match Fishing"

These are very interesing books written by a match man.

I have picked up loads of new tips already.

A shocking one for you :

During a match, if an angler next to you starts to catch bream you can try to panick him.

Mix up some ground bait and throw four/five balls into your swim.

Hopefully he will think you are trying to lure the bream to your swim (which you are).

To keep the bream in his swim he will hopefully

make up his own groundbait and chuck it in over the breams heads.

Bream do not like to be bombarded and will hopefully move out of his swim into yours.

If they move into yours they will find your groundbait and BINGO you are in.

The only downside is that the bream may move in the other direction to the angler the other side of the one you have panicked!!!!!!

I have also learnt alot about keeping maggots, pinkies, casters etc fresh.

Its a pity there are no modern books by todays match anglers (late 90,s onwards) full of advice and tips.

[ 19. February 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Nugg

With casters, buy the bag with the most casters that are a light (orange/yellow) colour.

These will be the freshest. Avoid bags with dark casters or ones with little dark bag burns on them.

When you get home empty them all onto some newspaper.

Pick out any shells, bits, dead (or alive)maggots etc.

(casters are alive remember and need to breath, if kept in the bag they will die!)

Wash the casters in cold clean water (I add a squirt of scopex).

This gets rid of the sour smell on them.

Lay a layer of newspaper in a bait box and pour in casters. Try to fill the box by using a smaller box.

Put a layer of newspaper over them.

Then a layer of clingfilm or plastic bag. This will ensure they can breath but not start to go to dark and turn into floaters.

Put on lid.

In morning casters will be very crisp and clean

and the fish love them!

It is best to buy your casters the day before fishing. While fishing keep submerged in water.

Use any that float as hook baits as they are will sink roughly at same rate as the sinkers.

Maggots

The darker the black spot inside the fresher the maggot. Fresher maggots are softer and fish like them better.

Riddle them when you get home and put in fresh bran. We cant smell it but maggots reek of ammonia and fish can smell it a mile off!!!!!!

Keep one pint of maggots in a two pint box

with lid off in top of fridge.

(dont have fridge to cold). This prevents sweating.

Riddle and change bran every day.

Every day you keep them maggots will get toughter and will slightly shrink.

Riddle them and add any flavour etc on day of fishing and keep out of sun as it will make them sweat.

Any left over maggots can be kept and used as hook baits but feed and use fresh maggots if possible.

Pinkies

The lighter the colour the fresher the pinkie.

The pinker the colour the older.

Keep the same as maggots.

Pinkies last up to three times as long as maggots when kept in the bottom of the fridge.

WARNING damp pinkies will get out of any box with the lid on! Try and keep out of your house!!!!

Squats

Try and buy the day you are fishing or the day before. (a great bream bait)

Keep them in the sand they come in.

If you keep them in the fridge they will stop moving and start strech. If this happens put them on the garage floor and they may recover.

Squats are very hard to keep for more than a day!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!