Carp fishing videos

Having seen so many bad ones over the years, I came across a great one purely by chance. A friend of mine came across some fishing books and videos at a car boot sale and kindly bought them, thinking I might be interested. There was also an assortment of old books, but also included was a video on winter carp fishing by Andy Little. There was also one on particles, which included Brian Jarrett of Hinders. This was also informative, but showed that Andy Little is a natural in front of a camera.

The winter carp fishing video seemed a hopeless task, but Andy proved to be unusually articulate and eloquent, to the extent that catching a fish seemed almost unimportant.

The venue was Yew Tree Lake and the main part of the video featured just the two of them, discussing winter carp fishing in general. Now don't get me wrong, this isn't the kind of video that you would show if you had non-angling friends round. It was cerebral and the conversation was remarkably fluent, un-mannered and natural. Conditions were below feezing, yet Bryan landed a 20 plus mirror and totally unexpectedly, Andy landed a remarkable mirror of 41 pounds 8 ounces.

Strangely enough, the size of the fish was relatively unimportant, almost surreal in fact, but what came across was Andy and Bryan's superb ability to perform naturally in front of the camera.

As I said, it was on video rather than DVD, but as long as you are not of the generation that is only satisfied by slick editing and constant action, this is a true classic.

Can anybody else recommend a truly great angling video (Passion for Angling excluded), that remains a true classic?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Can anybody else recommend a truly great angling video (Passion for Angling excluded), that remains a true classic?

I still think you've got to go a long way to beat K M's carp fever videos. Not just for the technical info but also for the reminder to keep thinking about what you're doing, and adapting as required.

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
A passion for angling is and always will be the classic fishing video, but an obsession for carp is very close behind it, well worth a look :)

Watched "obsession with carp" and though I enjoyed it , I wouldn't rate it as great.

My favourite , other than "A passion for angling" is Globetrotter's "Carp Adventures France" with Tony Davies- Patrick , I think its superb.

Edited by kestrel

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

• 3 weeks later...
Having seen so many bad ones over the years, I came across a great one purely by chance. A friend of mine came across some fishing books and videos at a car boot sale and kindly bought them, thinking I might be interested. There was also an assortment of old books, but also included was a video on winter carp fishing by Andy Little. There was also one on particles, which included Brian Jarrett of Hinders. This was also informative, but showed that Andy Little is a natural in front of a camera.

The winter carp fishing video seemed a hopeless task, but Andy proved to be unusually articulate and eloquent, to the extent that catching a fish seemed almost unimportant.

The venue was Yew Tree Lake and the main part of the video featured just the two of them, discussing winter carp fishing in general. Now don't get me wrong, this isn't the kind of video that you would show if you had non-angling friends round. It was cerebral and the conversation was remarkably fluent, un-mannered and natural. Conditions were below feezing, yet Bryan landed a 20 plus mirror and totally unexpectedly, Andy landed a remarkable mirror of 41 pounds 8 ounces.

Strangely enough, the size of the fish was relatively unimportant, almost surreal in fact, but what came across was Andy and Bryan's superb ability to perform naturally in front of the camera.

As I said, it was on video rather than DVD, but as long as you are not of the generation that is only satisfied by slick editing and constant action, this is a true classic.

Interesting - I always fond Andy Little to be.....shall we say a tad uncharasmatic? His vids always had great tips and info, but I couldn't sit down and watch any of them in one go, the ones I've seen anyway.

I'm personally not too keen on instruction heavy vids (which puts most of the big carp ones out of the running) and prefer the more sedate "fishing meanders", as long as the presenter has some personality (not too much personality, though - I'm looking at you Mr Korda!!).

As for my favourites, any of Wilson's coarse specials, particularly the stalking summer rivers and centrepin ones. Summer Piking with Barry Rickards is a good laugh - no massive fish, but all sorts of weird and wonderful lures on show and Barry winkles a jack out of a stream that you could easily step over. Matt Hayes' Tench video deserves a mention - starts out like a typical instruction vid and slowly morphs into a boy's own adventure as Matt lands his (then) PB tench. And whilst I mention Hayes, I guess I ought to mention his some-time sparring partner Mick "the legend" Brown. Any of his solo piking vids are worth watching. His middle to later ones are better as it seemed to take him a while to warm to the camera, but they're all great watches. But my two all-time favourite non-APFA vids have to be Chris Yates' The Secret Carp and Fishing With Peter Stone, where the late great Stoney, coming across like a doddery old grandfather as per, shows just why he was the daddy of modern coarse fishing.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting - I always fond Andy Little to be.....shall we say a tad uncharasmatic? His vids always had great tips and info, but I couldn't sit down and watch any of them in one go, the ones I've seen anyway.

I'm personally not too keen on instruction heavy vids (which puts most of the big carp ones out of the running) and prefer the more sedate "fishing meanders", as long as the presenter has some personality (not too much personality, though - I'm looking at you Mr Korda!!).

As for my favourites, any of Wilson's coarse specials, particularly the stalking summer rivers and centrepin ones. Summer Piking with Barry Rickards is a good laugh - no massive fish, but all sorts of weird and wonderful lures on show and Barry winkles a jack out of a stream that you could easily step over. Matt Hayes' Tench video deserves a mention - starts out like a typical instruction vid and slowly morphs into a boy's own adventure as Matt lands his (then) PB tench. And whilst I mention Hayes, I guess I ought to mention his some-time sparring partner Mick "the legend" Brown. Any of his solo piking vids are worth watching. His middle to later ones are better as it seemed to take him a while to warm to the camera, but they're all great watches. But my two all-time favourite non-APFA vids have to be Chris Yates' The Secret Carp and Fishing With Peter Stone, where the late great Stoney, coming across like a doddery old grandfather as per, shows just why he was the daddy of modern coarse fishing.

Strangely enough, a non-angler who goes to car boot sales has just sent me Carp Fever 3 and Winter Carp Fishing, both by Kevin ________s. I found them almost unbearably dull - and KM didn't use an unhooking mat in the first one. By way of contrast, I watched the Hinders Particles one (on VHS) straight afterwards, and Andy Little came across as somebody who would be fun to go fishing with. Horses for courses and all that.

(How incredibly weird - KM's name is edited out by the forum's software for some strange reason).

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.