Red Letter Hour!

Peter Waller

One advantage of living within yards of the waterside, and being a lure fishing fanatic, is that I can grab an hour as appointments, or whim, dictate! Grabbed my rod, already rigged with an orange & yellow Ace jerkbait, from Harris, a guaranteed lure. Went out at 4, back by 5 and caught a 24/11, a 22/4 plus a jack, and a very sore finger .

Of all the pike that I have unhooked over the years, I have never hooked myself, until today. I rig most of my jerk-baits with Mustad Allround size 2/0. That so and so went right in up to the bend! Another arguement in favour of squeezed barb hooks! Blessed finger is well swollen at the moment. Belly hook was in the pike, tail hook was in me, not amusing. Especially as it was two hooks of the treble. Darn good job my finger was near freezing, I never felt a thing until I got back to a warm house. A lesson learned, don't get too blase in my old age, take more care next time.

The other point worth mentioning is that two very able pikers had been fishing the same area that I had moved into. They had been there all day for three jacks, on live-baits and deads. Personally I'm convinced that lures are well worth mastering. It was cold, blessed cold, near the end of the season, not when lures are normally recommended, yet I easily outfished two anglers with four rods and many more hours in the same general area.

Must be the season for Pike accidents on that particular Broad. I was getting a good pasting by my brother in North Bay during the morning but as things quietened down we moved opposite the maltings during the afternoon. I eventually got a Jack of about 5lbs and as I had landed and sorted all his fish during the morning (up to 19/15) I ask him to do the honours. Firstly it flicked his tail catapulting the forceps into his face drawing blood. Then a previously unseen protruding tooth found his nuckle, blood everywhere. When we got home he rang NHS Direct who asked Bitten by a what???????? Lets call it an animal bite then!!!!1 Better go to Paget for a tetanus. As you can't drive after one of these I dropped him at the hospital (about8pm) , as they were a bit busy he said he would ring me for a lift home. The call came at 1.30am. We'll certainly remember that trip, a nice days fishing followed by 5 1/2 hours in casualty. Mind you, i had one hell of a laugh.

By the way, liked your letter in the Journal this week!!!

Hi Eastern! Seems there are four of us on AN from the the L.T. area. You, me, tackle turkey and a Mr. H.Vampton. I'm generally a solitary angler in a small, grubby white dory, slinging lures about, yell if you see me. If you don't know Tackle Turkey then pop into Tackle-X-Change and ask for Richard. Great shop for quality cheap lures.

Re the Maltings, try it at night, you might have a surprise or two!

Re the Journal. 15 Corporate Managers have left WDC!! Have my inside contacts, there is more to come. Ablett is very much the innocent party, poor man. For legal reasons my letter was very carefully worded.

I guessed it was you in the small white boat, I'v seen you thrashing the water several times when I'v been in the LPAC boat, usually with my uncle who comes over from Germany to fish for the eels.

Ask your source about the email sent to all staff reminding them of the data protection act etc.

All the best,

Hi Eastern. Yep, often meet up with the LPAC boat. Do you work at the Blundeston Leisure Centre? We might have met, I got roped in to fish for the LPAC pike team once, a real culture shock! Anything happened with the lake yet?

Re inside contacts, the people concerned know full well re the e-mail. If half of what I hear is true then it will have to come out eventually, it's a real mess.

I don't work there but my Father did, he was there longer than the lifers, lol.

Bit of a mystery about the lake, I though I knew who was buying it but all quiet on that front.

As for the other matter, if the next ones who are tipped to go are correct then that is probably when it will hit the fan, no gagging orders there !!!

A number of us offered £80k but were turned down. I think they rather wish they had accepted it now! We're rather glad they didn't. The cost of rebuilding the lake would be in excess of £100k. As a commercial venture it would be a no-no. Beautiful lake but when the in-mates come out to play the language, abuse and noise that comes over the wall is pretty unpleasent.