Multiplier reels

Matt Shaw

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

</font>

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Peter Waller:

The Badger Sounion reels are the real DeeBees.
[The Nutz - DG
] A good friend has two and they are incredible value and great reels. Only £20.00 at Chatsworth!

The advantages are many. Firstly in casting, you have total thumb control. You can feather a cast with absolute precision, either to help prevent trebles catching around the trace, or to limit the length of cast. Secondly, in playing a fish, you can play against the clutch without having to pump the fish. The small size of a multiplier, compared with a fixed spool, makes them so easy to handle, especially in a boat.

</font><hr />

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> I very much doubt if you'll beat PW's suggested Badger reel on price or performance thumbupsmt.gif

Big advantage(s) of multipliers:

Strength and more direct contact and feel with your line and lure. They're a MUST for trolling.

But if you're just starting-out lure-fishing, I'd suggest you go for a fixed-spool reel (and you can read more about the PROs and CONs by clicking here

It's also worth checking out the reels here and comparing prices so you don't get ripped-off

DG

<small>[ 21. May 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]</small>

Matt

Forgot to say that if you do decide to go for a fixed-spool reel rather than a multiplier, for the moment at least, check out Okuma reels here

Look at the prices! And they've had very good reviews on this Forum too

Should say that Okuma do multipliers too

okuma30l.jpg

Check them and their prices out here

Both Okuma multipliers listed are below your budget and will give you solid performance

thumbupsmt.gif

Oh and of course, a Newt reminds, you'll need a lure rod that suits a multiplier. Newt calls them baitcasters. The better ones have a trigger grip, and of course you hold the rod with the rings uppermost, so you need one with plenty of rings to hold wet line off the rod itself .... or make life easy-peasy for yourself and go for a fixed-spooler!

DG :cool:

<small>[ 21. May 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]</small>

quote:

The John Wilson Six Shooter rod, horrible things. Good blank, good handle, but it always seemed to me that the two were never intended to be on the same rod! The JW reel, under other labels it can be bought for a lot less money.

That'll be it then....!!And there was me thinking that I was the incompetent factor in the exercise..

Paul

quote:

Originally posted by Tinca61:

And there was me thinking that I was the incompetent factor in the exercise..

Nope, Paul, certainly not! :D

In experienced, blinkered, even psuedo-macho, persistent hands, and with a half-decent rod, multipliers are OK but as you say, the easiest way to lure-fish with them is to leave them in the shed and get out the fixed-spool reel set-up :D:D

'cept they can't be beaten for trolling, and for big lures, jerkbaits etc :rolleyes:

DG :cool:

[ 21. May 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The Diamond Geezer:

</font>

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Peter Waller:

The Badger Sounion reels are the real DeeBees.
[The Nutz - DG
] A good friend has two and they are incredible value and great reels. Only £20.00 at Chatsworth!

The advantages are many. Firstly in casting, you have total thumb control. You can feather a cast with absolute precision, either to help prevent trebles catching around the trace, or to limit the length of cast. Secondly, in playing a fish, you can play against the clutch without having to pump the fish. The small size of a multiplier, compared with a fixed spool, makes them so easy to handle, especially in a boat.

</font><hr />

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> I very much doubt if you'll beat PW's suggested Badger reel on price or performance thumbupsmt.gif

Big advantage(s) of multipliers:

Strength and more direct contact and feel with your line and lure. They're a MUST for trolling.

But if you're just starting-out lure-fishing, I'd suggest you go for a fixed-spool reel (and you can read more about the PROs and CONs by clicking here

It's also worth checking out the reels here and comparing prices so you don't get ripped-off

DG

Good leads there DG. I see the Banax reel at the top of the list. I stand to be corrected, as ever, but I have a minor suspicion that the Badger Sounion, the Banax and the look alike Masterline reel are all from the same stable, if not off the very same tooling!! Pretty certain that one of Shakespeare's reels is also the same one. Prices for the very same reel, but different labels, vary from £20.00, (discounted!?) to £80.00 (full, meaningless r.r.p).

Matt, I think DG's advice is spot on. Consider moving over to a multiplier if you take to jerk-baiting.

gilbertron:

if you're after buying a multiplier, check out http://www.harrisangling.co.uk

they often have good deals on the reels, and rods to suit as well. i havent taken the plunge yet, sticking with my fixed spool for now, but i keep thinking about it

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, I'd shop around a bit!! Great for service, exceptionally nice people, great catalogue and superb range, especially for lures. But their rods & reels, I think they are less than competetive.

Good advice there, PW

I agree, for everything, not just rods, reels and lures, ..... shop-around and compare prices .... otherwise there's the ever-present danger that you might just get RRRRRRRIPPED- :mad: FF !!!!

And beware sycophants* and those with vested interests* and/or associations* with sellers of tackle. [* You know who you are !] Get independent (hopefully!), indeed critical, advice from Elton's forums (fora)

Re: lures & prices, see my other posting(s) on this Forum

DG

Support CABRO, the Campaign Against Being Ripped-Off :D

[ 21. May 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

A few more comments.

Multiplier vs. bait caster - a multiplier is a UK term that covers all reels of the general design we are discussing. US equiv. term is casting reel. Bait casters are specifically smaller reels with thumb bar and magnetic adjustments designed for lures and small live baits. Designed to make frequent and repeated casting easy. There doesn't seem to be a specific UK term for just that sort of reel so I used the US one.

Birdsnests - will happen with this style of reel. More when you are first starting but occasionally no matter how good you get. The advice to start with the settings so the lure you have tied on will slowly sink to the ground when you press the release is good. Shortens the distance you cast but greatly reduces overruns. Another thing I still do with my reels is to reduce the depth of the birdsnest. Makes them much easier to get out. As follows

- with the reel spooled up, pull off the maximum amount of line you think you can cast. Even tie on a weight to match your heaviest lure and cast as far as you can. Then pull off another 15-20 yards of line to allow for the occasional super cast or big fish that takes line against the clutch.

- take a short piece of black, plastic electricians tape (or similar) and place it across the line from one side to the other. Then wind your line back on.

- when you get an overrun, it won't be able to go any deeper than the tape. But if you get a seriously big fish on and it takes enough line, the tape comes right off and doesn't get in the way of landing the fish.

Balanced rod/reel - more critical with this style than with spinning gear. If the rod and reel are not a good match for each other, the rig will never feel good or cast well. That's one reason I posted a pair of combos above. The rod and reel are a perfect match for each other. You will also need to mate them with a line that works well with them. I have found the round reel combo spooled with 20lb powerpro is wonderful. Tried it with a 17lb mono and it wasn't good. 12lb mono was better and I imagine 10lb would have been about right.

Advantages - I completely agree that spinning gear is easier to use at first. And for light lures/baits (1/16 - 1/4 oz) it will always work better. But there are ways/situations when a bait caster is better and at least one thing that is easy with a bait caster and totally impossible with spinning gear.

- stalking: rods are usually shorter so easier to manage. And side-arm or underhand casting is easy so great where there is low hanging cover to contend with.

- speed: you can make more casts with a bait casting rig over the course of a day than with spinning gear. When you have reeled in the lure, press a lever with the thumb of the hand already holding the rod and cast again. Quicker than having to finger the line and flip the bail.

- line twist: fixed spool design is unnatural in terms of line lay and line handling. Multipliers have the line going directly on and directly off. No bail wrapping the line around a spool to cause twist.

- soft plastic fishing: this is the one where the bait caster has all the advantage. Fish are known to often give very light takes on soft plastics. Very subtle stuff. With a bait caster fishing soft plastics, you can lightly hold the line just ahead of the reel between thumb and forefinger while working the lure and reeling in. Any taps will be easily felt whereas if you are just depending on feeling the rod respond to the tap, you are out of luck. If you also spool with a good braid for even more "feel" you can strike and land fish when someone fishing the same area with the same lure on spinning gear would complain of no takes.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Wow. Thanks for all the advice guys. I had a really good chat with a guy at Climax tackle today too who repeated a lot of what you have all said. I am currently using a fixed spool reel for lure fishing with lures up to 50g. I really fancy trying out some of the big jerks and dawgs, so i think i might take the plunge and by a bait caster combo. Thanks for all your help and signposts.

Later dudes

Matt