irish bait

BEDSBLUENOSE

I am going to Mohill in Leitrim with 3 others in May for a bit of Bream fishing,

I would love some tips on good spots to fish and what amount of bait you experts think we should take.

Is there a good contact over there for getting the bait.

many thanks in advance

Bedsblue :):):)

Irish Angling Services will cater for all of your bait requirements,and in some cases will

even deliver it to your digs for you.

For any angling Info,you could try writing to

Paul Harris,who is a mine of information.He is

the angling advisor to the Irish Tourist Board.

His address is

Loveitts Farm

Brinklow

Rugby

Warwickshire CV3 0LG

Telephone no.01788 833203

Or e-mail him at paul@p-harris.demon.co.uk

He will also supply you with fisheries maps for

the area you are fishing,and advise on bait.

Hope this is of some help.

Inside every old person is a young one wondering what the hell happened!

Be carefull!!!! If you are fishing any of the Loughs within the duristiction of the Shannon Regional Fisheries Board, YOU NOW REQUIRE A LICENCE.It is gonna cost you 30 Euro ( about 20 quid)to fish gill netted,polluted loughs. Irish Coarse anglers are up in arms over this,as it seems that revenue from these licences will finance activities that the Fisheries board get involved in,and that includes GILL NETTING...

Many Irish anglers are boycotting the area with justification I may add.

What a pack of tossers the Boards are!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Apart from that, Cartman is right,get it from Irish Angling Services,a lot less hassle than bringing your own and and not too expensive...Des

[ 01. March 2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: ThePiker ]

A couple of miles up the road from Mohill is a village called Fenagh, and a few miles past that is Ballinamore. Drumlaheen lake outside Fenagh contains bream to double figures. It`s fairly accessible but BUT the near shoreline is strewn with snags. Good lake but the snags will do your head in.

Outside Ballinamore is a lake called Bolganard and across the road, literally, is Corgar lake. Bolganard threw up the Irish record bream a few years ago to an English angler. It`s a hard water with a small head of big bream to over 12lbs and a good head of tench, like Corgar.

I just spent the last three days there and didn`t get a touch. It`s a bit early maybe.

Many lakes around this area all worth a go.

"Where There`s Smoke, There`s Salmon"

Try the site: www.angling-in-ireland.com

It used to be run by a couple of guys based in the Roosky/Mohill area and in their venue directory there's an excellent list of all the lakes and stretches of the Shannon in the area you're headed for. The site is now in the hands of the Irish Federation of Pike Clubs but the venue directory bit has been retained.

Lough Rynn just outside Mohill has good access and usually throws up good fishing. More a pleasure venue than one for the specimens, it is a good bet if it's bagging up you're after.

If you're after a few biggies, then take Reel Deal's advice and head up towards Ballinamore, the lakes he mentions although hard are your best bet for big bream.

As had been mentioned, Irish Angling Services are the guys to get in touch with for bait, my advice would be to get at least 2 x 15kg sacks of brown crumb per angler. If you're baiting up properly, you'll use it easily.

Pre-baiting will seriously enhance your chances of getting into the bream, concentrate on a couple of venues and do it properly by fishing from first light on at least a couple of mornings. This might be 5am or so but if you've prebaited then this is the time the fish will be getting their heads down. Arrive at 10am, especially on a bright sunny morning, and you could have missed all the best feeding and end up scratching around.

Hope this helps.