river lostock

mike birtles

It has been suggested recently that the river lostock could be well worth a try as it is apparently stuffed with fish, I had a look today and it seemed far to small, about 7 foot wide and maybe 2 foot deep at the most. Has anyone tried this river and had any success??

Mike,it is stuffed with fish all the way along,the place to start is ulswalton lane,park in the gateway as you cross it,theres a pool 50yrds from your car that ive had 20lb nets of roach,chub and trout,

take the first left after the bridge,go down the lane for 1/2 mile,park in the layby,walk down the pfootpath and theres a pool about 200yrds to the right thats 10ft deep with an island in the middle,chub to 3lb,big roach the odd barbel and trout,

give me an e-mail when you catch,

rgds bloodworm.

Im talking about the river lostock that runs through Leyland. I must admit that I do not know where it starts and finishes as it seams to disapear on my map, It seams to head out towards chorley so it could be the same. Bloodworm probably knows more about it than me.

Mike, don't overlook small rivers/streams. Over the last couple of weeks I have been fishing the Hammer Stream, a tributary of the River Beult down here in Kent.

The Hammer is about what you describe in width and depth and between 2 of us we have had 16 Chub to 3 1/2 lbs and a number of Jack Pike which have taken worms meant for the Chub.

All these fish have been taken on simple ledger tactics and we've used a roving method. If we don't get bites within 15 minutes we move on. Usually the bites come withing seconds of the bait hitting the water and these winter Chub really drag the tip round.

This is the first year I've fished this stream and I don't usually venture out when the weathers this cold but I will certainly be consigning that thought process to the dustbin next winter.

An Economist: Someone who sees something working in practice and trys to see if it will work in theory!!!!!!

Starts ?

Finishes,runs into the yarrow at croston,

if you are going to fish it mike nows the time for the big bags,it needs a bit of colour to realy fish propper,but you can still have a good session in clear conditions.

Tony,i have caught ells from it in summer,but only small ones,i think it is poached for the ells,talking to an ea guy,he said they have been keepinbg there eyes out for netters,so there must be a few in it,tend not to get them on the float,

bloodworm.

I think it starts it Brindle, runs South to Whittle-le-Woods then North through Cuerden Valley until it reaches Bamber Bridge where it turns West for a while before heading South to Leyland. I have often noticed it whilst sitting at the trafic lights heading out of Bamber Bridge towards the M6.