Pottery Pond Strensall

PikeGirl

Hi all not been on here much lately too busy fishing lol. Almost a year since I joined forum & thanks to some good advice I've had a fabulous year! Lots of good fish from various stretches of the Tees & earlier this year joined Aycliffe Angling Club mainly to fish their pond. Had some species not available to me where I've normally fished so I is a happy girl.

Mr (& Mrs) pike still eluding me. Probably the main reason for this is I can't fish in the winter as can't bear the blooming cold. Late last year some kind soul recommended Pottery Pond as a good day ticket water for a chance of a pike. Scaling was another.

Finally this Sunday I'm off to Pottery for a days fishing it wins over Scaling due to option of other coarse fish.

Going to fish 2 rods one set for pike the other for whatever other coarse fish comes along. Not really bothered about dustbin lids but would not say no lol. Can anyone offer any advice or fished Pottery recently in regard to placement or tactics for catching a pike? Planning to use sardines & sprats as bait. Have collected lots of pike spinner lures but sure I read somewhere that spinning banned there due to some people using sea fishing rigs to catch monsters.

Have looked around on net & general consensus is that Pottery doesn't fish like it used to not letting that put me off as chatter says that about Aycliffe pond but I seem to have done alright there. Then again I'm just happy to catch don't really mind what it is or how big lol.

Be grateful for any advice

Hi all not been on here much lately too busy fishing lol. Almost a year since I joined forum & thanks to some good advice I've had a fabulous year! Lots of good fish from various stretches of the Tees & earlier this year joined Aycliffe Angling Club mainly to fish their pond. Had some species not available to me where I've normally fished so I is a happy girl.

Mr (& Mrs) pike still eluding me. Probably the main reason for this is I can't fish in the winter as can't bear the blooming cold. Late last year some kind soul recommended Pottery Pond as a good day ticket water for a chance of a pike. Scaling was another.

Finally this Sunday I'm off to Pottery for a days fishing it wins over Scaling due to option of other coarse fish.

Going to fish 2 rods one set for pike the other for whatever other coarse fish comes along. Not really bothered about dustbin lids but would not say no lol. Can anyone offer any advice or fished Pottery recently in regard to placement or tactics for catching a pike? Planning to use sardines & sprats as bait. Have collected lots of pike spinner lures but sure I read somewhere that spinning banned there due to some people using sea fishing rigs to catch monsters.

Have looked around on net & general consensus is that Pottery doesn't fish like it used to not letting that put me off as chatter says that about Aycliffe pond but I seem to have done alright there. Then again I'm just happy to catch don't really mind what it is or how big lol.

Have never fished Pottery Pond (I assume you're talking about the place just outside York?), but if it's pike you are particularly after you could do a lot worse than stay a bit closer to home, and head for the free stretches of the Tess around Yarm, and at the back of Preston Park ... plenty of bankside, enough pike to keep life interesting (if you look for them!), and other coarse fish as a distraction (or alternative pike bait! :D )

You'll also hit pike on the free stretch on the Tees, at Croft ... but it's not the prettiest of spots.....

The first thing is (and I have written this elswhere in here recently) is that to say pike fishing is a business only to be conducted in the winter is a myth. Especially here in the frozen north. I haven't fished the Strensall (York) area since I worked there in the late 70s. I can't remember the 'pottery pond', but do remember doing a bit of piking and catching fish into the teens of lbs in the river Foss which is nearby. I don't know who controls the fishing there now, thats something you would have to find out, should be easy online.

Sardines and sprats are good and reliable deadbaits, but I would try lamprey (1st choice) mackerel and smelt too, all those should be availiable in a well stocked tackle shop freezer.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Have never fished Pottery Pond (I assume you're talking about the place just outside York?), but if it's pike you are particularly after you could do a lot worse than stay a bit closer to home, and head for the free stretches of the Tess around Yarm, and at the back of Preston Park ... plenty of bankside, enough pike to keep life interesting (if you look for them!), and other coarse fish as a distraction (or alternative pike bait! :D )

You'll also hit pike on the free stretch on the Tees, at Croft ... but it's not the prettiest of spots.....

This is'nt Peter M'que (pardon any spelling mistakes) is it

The first thing is (and I have written this elswhere in here recently) is that to say pike fishing is a business only to be conducted in the winter is a myth. Especially here in the frozen north. I haven't fished the Strensall (York) area since I worked there in the late 70s. I can't remember the 'pottery pond', but do remember doing a bit of piking and catching fish into the teens of lbs in the river Foss which is nearby. I don't know who controls the fishing there now, thats something you would have to find out, should be easy online.

Sardines and sprats are good and reliable deadbaits, but I would try lamprey (1st choice) mackerel and smelt too, all those should be availiable in a well stocked tackle shop freezer.

Emma

Bang on the money

Fishing for pike in the North is a whole different game to piking in say the fens or the somerset drains and piking in and around our Northern rivers in the summer (NOW) is the best there is

I pike fish all year round with the only exception being times of extreme low flow and obviously depleted oxygen levels but right now the pike feed well and fight much much harder than they do in the winter, a ten pound fish caught now gives a much better account of itself now than a 20 pound fish does in the winter

Theres plenty of folk say you should'nt pike fish till October but can't tell you why nor can they offer any practical experience of river piking as they could'nt tell you the difference between one end of a snap trace and a baiting needle

This is the time to lure fish for pike too as they are active hunters at early and late periods of the day with the mid day times being the worst for lure fishing when the sun is at its highest

At the moment our local river is experiencing plenty of rain water and the piking is suffering but keep an eye on this http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...els/120692.aspx for local water levels and you'll do just fine, barbel fishing is OK in this weather though

It escapes me who suggested Strensall and Scaling ;) but they were'nt meant as the only venues but venues suitable to match the time of the year and the original request for fishable venues when the river was raging

My email is still the same should anyone care to use it again as I prefer to pass info that way rather than on an open forum and shag up someones favourite venue or worse still somewhere I use that does'nt see a lot of piking activity

I probably should have mentioned, I had 4 out last week nothing massive, 1 at 8lb, 2 at 11lb and 1 at 12lb all within 45 minutes but great fun and fighting fit and never been caught before as they were all in pristine condition, scale perfect, no jaw damage and full blood red well oxygenated red gills

I'm obviously not trying the right bit of river! I have tried some of the recommended bits but to be honest I don't know what to look for. I know pike like to ambush their prey so they will lurk in or near reeds etc.

Strensall is to be a bit of a lesson. I know there are pike in there so I'm hoping this trip will enable me better fish for them elsewhere. I'm not expecting great things but I'm hoping to learn quite a bit. To catch one would be a fantastic bonus.

The river will fish its socks off this weekend after the run off of extra water

The biggest nistake I see pikers make when they fish the Tees or indeed most rivers is to welly the bait into the middle when the most productive bits are from the bankside and no more than a rod a half lengths out, mind you there is one spot on the Tees that's the total opposite and most of the pike are in the middle where the silverfish feed is but generally, concentrate on the margins and in particular the marginal shelf and fish just outside of that as pike use it for cover to ambush their prey and if you get it right (you need to plumb the depth to find the drop off) you'll catch well

The river will fish its socks off this weekend after the run off of extra water

The biggest nistake I see pikers make when they fish the Tees or indeed most rivers is to welly the bait into the middle when the most productive bits are from the bankside and no more than a rod a half lengths out, mind you there is one spot on the Tees that's the total opposite and most of the pike are in the middle where the silverfish feed is but generally, concentrate on the margins and in particular the marginal shelf and fish just outside of that as pike use it for cover to ambush their prey and if you get it right (you need to plumb the depth to find the drop off) you'll catch well

Couldn't agree more Brian, i've had most of my pike from within 2 rod lengths out from the Tees. Also, the majority of them come within 20 minutes or so. The river looks good, i was out wednesday and there was a good flow pushing through. Should be sock on this weekend - i'll be out!

Please visit my blog at http://jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

just to emphasise again how important it is to fish close in I caught two fish today no further than about 8ft from the bank, both cracking fish, one at 12lb 10oz and another at 19lb 6oz. No need to cast out as you could spit further than that if you wanted to but theres some very good fish to be had very close in

The river will fish even better for pike tomorrow I'm sure ,as the colour in it is dropping out fast , very fast and river levels returning to normal