Grüezi from Switzerland

dooly

Hi my name is dooly and although i have been living in Switzerland for almost 8 years i was born and raised in Mombasa,Kenya. (am citizen of both countries thank to parents ) I began fishing with my dad and friends dads in kenya at the age of 9 starting with hand lines from boats with a weight, a hook and some prawn on. bream and baby GTs were the targets. after a few years i was able to do some deep sea trolling for sailfish, wahoo and tuna but then i hit puberty and the only "fishy" thing that interested me was to be found amongst the girls ;) after turning 18 i started hand lining again until i moved to switzerland when i was 20.

I think i tried to catch a fish for about 3 years before i succeeded in catching a roach or 2 ( 30 lb handlines didnt seem to work so well from the shores of swiss lakes!) and they didnt taste good and i didnt even know the meaning of catch and release.

Well about 3 years ago my school friend from kenya who works in germany came down and we went on a fishing trip for Largemouth Bass and as he was very experienced he had ALOT of tackle. was a bit confusing for me but i got the hang of the spinning rods and using hard and soft baits. after the first bass (52cm)i was completely and utterly hooked on this new style of fishing and not eating it!

After teaching me to catch perch in the same way i started buying rods, reels, lines, lures anything i could get my hands on. a Pike fishing trip to denmark with him in late 2009 sealed the deal, never a pike before then 5 pike between 75-98 cm within 3 days. and i knew i would never ever stop fishing again!

where i live doesnt have the best fishing but i usualy go after Perch and chub or any other predatory fish that crosses my path. i strictly use only artificial lures and spinning/baitcasting equipment. i also do not use barbed hooks on my lures unless for big fish and in other countries (wouldnt be allowed in switzerland anyway). also i completely support catch and release which, for some crazy reasons, is illegal in Switzerland. Lastly but not least even though i support catch and release i love eating fish and so once in a while a trout or perch accompanies me home.

i am also a collector, and of course user, of Japanese and American high end tackle to my girldfriends dismay B)

the reason i am joining this board is to find out how you guys catch your fish and as i visit the UK once in a while, it would be a bit of a shame if i didnt throw a lure in when i am there :D right now i am looking for good places in London but thats another post for another time!

Welcome to Anglers' Net Dooly. Glad to have you join us.

I knew Germany had banned catch & release but wasn't aware Switzerland had too.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You can release fish again in Germany (at least in Hamburg) but switzerland its a definite no go (unless its a species that isnt allowed to be removed or if its too small) but if the fish is bigger than minimum size it is apparently more humane to kill it than to let it go which is why all the fish should kbe tehrefore killed!!! but throwing in thousands of trout and the like at the other end of the lake is ok :wallbash:

in any case there are a few like minded people doing their best to be sensible even at risk from fines etc (and hefty ones at that 500 pounds for e.g. for only breaking the neck of a single perch instead of neck break followed by throat cut) of course you can always tell the policeman that the fish you just threw back in wasnt what you were after but its then up to the policeman if he believes you or turns a blind eye.

I suspect I will do best by avoiding Europe altogether. 2008.gif

Most of Florida and all cities are overly civilized for my tastes. 2023.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well its only in western Europe that has such mad rules. Now Floria is definitely a place i need to go soon! Bass, tarpon ,snook etc and sensible rules are definitely attractive lol.