New Fishing Shop In Exeter, Need Help With A Name??????

Guest Kermit

Guest matt_shaw

Oh Elton, your fobbing me off, arn't you? Ok, with the greatest of respect to you, i understand where your comming from. Great, your idea is truely good in the short run. But then what?

I talk to my local tackle dealer quite regularly. Infact he does everything you meantion, you know, concentrates on the local customers bla bla bla. They don't make very good money, the profit margins are low. You see, you do need to think outside your existing customers and look for new customers. The single biggest problem for a small venture, like Dean's, is how do the right people (anglers) find out about his business. You see, like you have meantioned, sticking to your regular customers isn't going to bring in more customers and thus profit. Thinking outside your current customer base is.

Attracting more business at the lowest cost will be Dean's priority (or atleast i hope so!). Without moving premisis or investing into a new premisis, e-tailing or mail ordering will be his starting point. I stick to my guns, Yellow Pages is not the most important media, like the reply threads on page 1 would suggest.

Elton, look at successes like Bennetts of Sheffield, Fishermans Friend and Fosters of Birmingham and tell me that they have achieved success through concentrating on their local customers. I don't think so!! My thread was just to trigger the creative process and to give ideas. These ideas are proven methods, take the above names as examples.

Success is acheived through calculated risks, these cost money. You need to invest to grow in the long run. My thread was aimed towards long term goals, not short term.

In regards to successes like Virgin etc, your just making my case stronger. On page 1, go back and read it if you must, i suggested that the name was NOT important. Good marketing is. Pubs, characteristically have strange names. Examples include, Rat and Parrot. That's not to say a strange name won't work, because it might. However it has to be backed-up by good marketing.

Good day to you Sir. rolleyes.gif

------------------

Happy fishing

-------------

Visit http://www.total-fishing.com

Guest Elton

Fosters of Birmingham. Bennetts of Sheffield.

They built strong local bases to work from - learnt to walk before they could run.

Foundation and security give a business confidence to experiment - my words, not a book's.

wink.gif

Elton

PS As somebody who runs a successful mail-order giftware business, I do know some of the frustrations created by the limitations based on you by controlled growth. I'd love to expand and try a myriad of marketing techniques, but I've also got a close eye on accounts. In fact, being the interesting guy that I am, I'm going through all of my invoices and rolling P & L account this evening frown.gif

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest Kermit

Thanks alot guys,

Let me stop you all for now, I only want a name for the shop, not world war III.

No seriously Elton's got a point that I have been trying to make myself. I need a name I can say and be proud of, not something I have to whisper quietly so no one can hear it.

Yellow pages is important to me, as well as loyalty within my customer base, which I already have.!!!!!!!!!!

I just want people to see a name and associate with a fishing tackle shop, make it seem respectable, easy to say, maybe even give people a chuckle. I would like it to be within the lower end of the alphabet, so as it would be quicker to see if you did happen to flick through the yellow pages or some other local media etc.

Anyway, the help is mucho grando appreciated.

THANKS THANKS

Speak to you all soon.

And as requested my email is dean@hermitage.fsnet.co.uk

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Ok one last suggestion

how about "A final cast"

my mate martin has owns "one last cast" in Stafford and it is the busiest fishing tackle shop in the town , and no i'm not just saying that its the truth!

Why is it so busy? Because he is the sort of bloke who tells you the truth and not what he thinks you need to hear if you ask him a question and he doesn't know the answer he'll tell you so and not make it up as he go's along!!

Oh and before i forget someone told him one last cast was a stupid name and nobody would go there if he called it that!!

somtimes a stupid name is easier to remember BECAUSE its a stupid name!!

But thats just my opinion biggrin.gif

------------------

you've gotta sleep sometime!

Alan (trogg) F

mailto:Alan_Dian@go-fishing.co.ukAlan_Dian@go-fishing.co.uk

Guest Hoppers

I totally agree, something a bit different always catches the eye....

If you want something nearer the end the alphabet why not something like:

Wetter Nets

Tackle Up

Up Stream Tackle

"This Big" Tackle (or Angling)

Just some ideas

Ian.

Guest DerwentBob

Hey, you want professional advice you hire a marketing consultant, I know some that won't cost you too far into 5 or 6 figures eek.gif

You ask anglers, you take what you get tongue.gif

Pay peanuts, get monkeys...

"Ook, oooooooook-ook!"

"Whats that Spanky, you think that Nuts with Nets would make a good name? Bad monkey!"

Guest phil dean

i don't see what's wrong with dean's tackle etc

served me well for many years, not in the shop way ofcourse biggrin.gif

we had a local shop named after the founder, the shop changed hands through four different owners but kept the name before changing style and closing,

everyone referred to the founders name and it stuck, be proud of what you are and rely on your personality, it's what makes a good shop.