Why do we bother?

Guest Alan Pearce

Guest mpbdsnu

Simon Newbould - QUOTE: "And there was me thinking that "stay out of the countryside" meant DON'T GO THERE.... didn't know we could actually drive round the effected areas with no problem... maybe we should all fish from our cars?"

Simon - I drove "past" the country park not round it, there is a difference - it is actually a by-pass!

2nd QUOTE: "Misinformed people really should think prior to posting"

3rd: "Open mouth - put foot in!" - CARRY ON MATE!!!

Guest phil dean

thanks for the info stu, i was not at the doctors and certainly couldn't confirm what he said, merely what i was told by the girl's mother.

my main point was that feel we have gone too far and beyond what is beneficial either to stopping the outbreak or maintaining our sport.

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by phil dean:

thanks for the info stu, i was not at the doctors and certainly couldn't confirm what he said, merely what i was told by the girl's mother.

my main point was that feel we have gone too far and beyond what is beneficial either to stopping the outbreak or maintaining our sport.

Hmm, I feel we the country not anglers, we as anglers can do no more, but as a country animals are still being moved around. Also people are still walking all over the place including lakes that have been closed according to reports.

------------------

Chris Shaw

Guest Simon Newbould

mpbdsnu,

smile.gif "it was actually a by-pass" this is the very reason I said "apparent hypocrisy" as it wasn't made clear in your previous post...

As long as we all agree that there is a serious problem at the moment in this country and applaud the individuals and organisations that are trying to act responsibly by keeping away from infected areas whilst also condemning those that aren't: be they anglers, ramblers, dog walkers, horse riders, golfers whatever - then that's fine with me wink.gif

We are all keen to attack these non-angling countryside using individuals (rightly so) but I'm sure you could equally find responsible horse riders, ramblers or whatever who have seen irresponsible anglers....

As has been said before on this; thread not all anglers in this country are acting as responsibly as the majority of those on this forum...

Cheers

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon Newbould (edited 07 March 2001).]

Guest phil dean
Originally posted by Chris Shaw:

Hmm, I feel we the country not anglers, we as anglers can do no more, but as a country animals are still being moved around. Also people are still walking all over the place including lakes that have been closed according to reports.

sorry, i should remember to be more careful before i post.

what i meant was that i feel that angling as a body has seen the potential problem and has acted positively, but in doing so the actions of clubs water owners and those anglers who've actually considered the issue has gone beyond what was needed for the benefit of the country as a whole.

now would be a good time to assess where the risks are and agree guidelines for where fishing can be carried on without any increased risk of spreading F&M

I've just been to the canal at Bingley, it's closed to fishing according to the BW web site, but there are no signs to say this and joe public is still walking up and down, (quite rightly too as the water is in an urban area). Why have the owners banned fishing when everyone else is using the facility?

I believe that it is a knee jerk reaction and, pardon the anology, a case of following the herd.

[This message has been edited by phil dean (edited 07 March 2001).]

Guest Chris Shaw

Hmm, I sort of know what your saying but the people walking by do not dip nets in the water then take those nets to other areas and dip them in the water in that area. Also other item of tackle come in contact with the water.

Say i went fishing in Essex which at the moment is classed as an infected area, fished, got me landing net all nice and wet then went to another county/area which is not infected, and put my net in the water there, I could in theory spread the virus.

I seem to recall net dips being used in 1967 as well.

------------------

Chris Shaw

Guest phil dean

so, be sensible, fish in the same place, or don't use a keep net..

i still think this is too much

Guest Paul Williams

I honestly believe that if we are sensible ( as most on this site appear to be) then we can continue to fish albeit in a restricted manner......then at least the tackle trade can have some income to keep them going and hopefully survive for another day.

Guest mpbdsnu

Thanks for the reply Simon, however though perhaps I could have made it clearer, I did say "past"! Not round! smile.gif

To wert, perhaps I should apologise for my initial reaction, but you did get my back up mate. I will add only one thing, in the form of Q & A - When is a walker not a walker? When he is a rambler! Please note I said 'Walker' - not rambler. I do recognise the basic difference between the two! 'Walkers' covers all sorts! If I had specifically meant ramblers, ie -those who are serious about their pastime, well, then I would said so and could rightly be accused of targetting that specific group - I hope that clears this up a little?

Guest Alan Pearce

Trouble is you can't expect ALL anglers to act in a responsible fashion. Unfortunatly many don't care a stuff about thefish they catch and the environment they fish in let alone show consideration for others.

There was an article in todays Angling Times about the waters still open to fishing. Apart from a couple of waters in the centre of towns/cities all the rest were commercial fisheries. Their owners are either very smart or very foolish, what do you think? And why have these fisheries remained open when the great majority of clubs have closed there's?

Alan.