Abu Garcia Cardinal 654 GT

BlundstonedLove

instructions? its just a reel ,do you mean schematics?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The extra knob on the bottom has "free spool set" printed next to it, so it's probably some kind of baitrunner style feature. I'm curious too now.

The 80s seem to have been an interesting period in reel design. I once saw a Cardinal with a lever drag on the back, like a Shimano Fighting Drag but roataed 90 degrees.

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm returning to fishing after quite a gap, so forgive me if I'm a bit gormless.

Yes it has two knobs - one at the back "Dual Drag" is I guess a clutch, but the other underneath "Strike Set" - what's that for?

It also has a slider/switch on the side which seems to be to lock the handle folding mechanism ( if so, a bit ropey on mine) and another at the back which is I guess to lock the return.

If I knew what everything did I might be able to have a guess as to whether it's in full working order.

It's also drenched in oil, which might be a good sign (somone has oiled it to look after it) or a bad one (someone has oiled it to get it to work). the latter might just be down to my old man who is potty and thought it was a Sea Fishing Reel. If their cat sits still it gets oiled in case it's stopped working

C

PS - Chesters, are you The Intrepid Guru?

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm returning to fishing after quite a gap, so forgive me if I'm a bit gormless.

Yes it has two knobs - one at the back "Dual Drag" is I guess a clutch, but the other underneath "Strike Set" - what's that for?

It also has a slider/switch on the side which seems to be to lock the handle folding mechanism ( if so, a bit ropey on mine) and another at the back which is I guess to lock the return.

If I knew what everything did I might be able to have a guess as to whether it's in full working order.

It's also drenched in oil, which might be a good sign (somone has oiled it to look after it) or a bad one (someone has oiled it to get it to work). the latter might just be down to my old man who is potty and thought it was a Sea Fishing Reel. If their cat sits still it gets oiled in case it's stopped working

C

PS - Chesters, are you The Intrepid Guru?

errr perhaps :headhurt:

heres the schematic if you take it apart ,as for the oil its not good a smear of grease works better and stays inside :D

http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/fil...54GT%2087-0.PDF

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

errr perhaps :headhurt:

heres the schematic if you take it apart ,as for the oil its not good a smear of grease works better and stays inside :D

http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/fil...54GT%2087-0.PDF

Thanks Chesters

From the schematic the knob underneath does seem to be an auxiliary clutch, but I’m none the wiser as to how it works in conjunction with the main clutch.

In the absence of instructions I guess it’s down to trial and error.

A few months ago I was looking on the ‘net for information about Intrepid reels (I have a few), but could find very little - apart from one guy who was writing a book on the subject and had posted a few snippets - one checking back I see it is you - hence The Intrepid Guru!

C

PS - what grease do you recommend?

The knob on the bottom adjusts the tension of the free-spool ( baitrunner) function.

To set the free-spool, push the slider on top, directly above said knob.

Hope this helps; perhaps someone can help me - the rear drag has a double sdjustment: the knurned knob at the back and the little twistable bar at the back of that. Why, for gawd's sake, and how are you supposed to set/use them?

The knob on the bottom adjusts the tension of the free-spool ( baitrunner) function.

To set the free-spool, push the slider on top, directly above said knob.

Hope this helps; perhaps someone can help me - the rear drag has a double sdjustment: the knurned knob at the back and the little twistable bar at the back of that. Why, for gawd's sake, and how are you supposed to set/use them?

Thanks, that really useful & I appreciate the help

C

Thanks Chesters

From the schematic the knob underneath does seem to be an auxiliary clutch, but I'm none the wiser as to how it works in conjunction with the main clutch.

In the absence of instructions I guess it's down to trial and error.

A few months ago I was looking on the 'net for information about Intrepid reels (I have a few), but could find very little - apart from one guy who was writing a book on the subject and had posted a few snippets - one checking back I see it is you - hence The Intrepid Guru!

C

PS - what grease do you recommend?

any high melting point grease will do ,the original stuff used wasnt up to much and hardened ,just a wipe on each moving part is fine ,grease (or any anti friction stuff) only works a few molecules deep on the actual moving parts so filling the reel with it is pointless .

oil will work but quickly migrates from the areas its needed ,i like spray grease instead of oil it does a better job but even that can be overkill in the frenzy of spray finger operation.

your right there is very little out there ,the intrepid site guy started off well but didnt fill in the difficult bits besides the actual reels themself ,its this bit thats time consuming and with the early members of the cheam factories dying as they are mostly in their autumn years it gets harder.

the cornish versions are easier but the amount of MBO's that went on confuses things and intrepid reels are still being sold and have done long after the gladding link disappeared

as for the book the more things i collect the more difficult it gets ,now there's more intrepid collectors about more expensive as well :doh:

so far this year just 3 boxes and one of those i bought because it was in better condition than the one i had.

identified over 80 different reels now and many variants and about half the boxes i need to finish the book ,11 years now most probably another 20 at the rate things are moving now ,hopefully you can see why i am hesitant to release the far more difficult bits and bobs the research has brought up including info i know only i know as the chap who divulged it have died in the time i have been researching ,if i croak before finishing the info is stored here for future posterity although i suspect the anglers of a certain age who remember intrepid in its prime are fewer each year :D

my mrs has been instructed it to flog the lot plus the BFR archives so hopefully someone else can finish the bloody thing ,with this lot gone from the bedroom wall i have no doubt she will be very pleased :D

old picture taken a couple of years ago ,every reel not in a box is waiting for a box i don't posses but i know to exist in the past :

probably ten more boxes now ,two i have pictures of but from someone else's collection that would be 4 different boxes for one common reel so you see the difficulty

Edited by chesters1

Thanks for the advice about the grease Chester, much appreciated.

I have seen the site with all the Intrepid pictures, and it's a shame it stopped.

But he was not the person I was referring to as the Intrepid Guru - that's surely a title that can only belong to you. Especially after seeing that photo.

Eighty reels? Blimey I thought I was doing OK with the handful I've got.

Can I ask what stage your book is at and what format you have in mind for it?

It sounds like a great project, and I hope you get it off the ground. 

Forgive my ignorance but what is BFR?

Thanks again