I would like an idea of how to improve bait response

OK Here's the problem

Background

Local Pond good variety of fish (Roach, Bream, Rudd,Tench, F1's, Mirrors, Commons, Chub, Perch, Barbel) fished there today and do so regularly on Saturdays / Tuesdays and Thursdays so I get practice in regularly now

Best baits Bread, Sweetcorn, Worm, Maggot, Fried Luncheon meatplain and Curried, fresh luncheon meat in other words most baits catch

Baits taken today

Maggot, popped up bread (the carp are finicky with floating), Sweetcorn

Baits ignored today

All meats

presentation for sweetcorn on Rod and Reel

Leeda AssassinIII at 5metres -

one grain of Sweetcorn on a size 18 barbless Crystal bend to 2lb hook-length main line 3kg BS

float is Insert Waggler of 3 #4 loading -- Bulk around float 2#8's equal spaced down line rig is 2.5cm over depth depth of rig approx 1m

Today the bites have been very strange the float going up and down like a Yo Yo as soon as the float sets, until it sails away

BUT 4 out of 5 bites don't connect and the bait appeared un-touched. fish caught on Sweetcorn Tench, Roach, Skimmer Bream no fish under 5oz today

I have never seen this type of response to sweetcorn in 25 years of fishing normally on this pond the bait sits for 4-5 minutes before a response whereas today the response was instant as soon as the float set.

I am open to ideas as to how to offer the bait to get a good take response instead with the speed of interest in the bait maintained

OK Here's the problem

Background

Local Pond good variety of fish (Roach, Bream, Rudd,Tench, F1's, Mirrors, Commons, Chub, Perch, Barbel) fished there today and do so regularly on Saturdays / Tuesdays and Thursdays so I get practice in regularly now

Best baits Bread, Sweetcorn, Worm, Maggot, Fried Luncheon meatplain and Curried, fresh luncheon meat in other words most baits catch

Baits taken today

Maggot, popped up bread (the carp are finicky with floating), Sweetcorn

Baits ignored today

All meats

presentation for sweetcorn on Rod and Reel

Leeda AssassinIII at 5metres -

one grain of Sweetcorn on a size 18 barbless Crystal bend to 2lb hook-length main line 3kg BS

float is Insert Waggler of 3 #4 loading -- Bulk around float 2#8's equal spaced down line rig is 2.5cm over depth depth of rig approx 1m

Today the bites have been very strange the float going up and down like a Yo Yo as soon as the float sets, until it sails away

BUT 4 out of 5 bites don't connect and the bait appeared un-touched. fish caught on Sweetcorn Tench, Roach, Skimmer Bream no fish under 5oz today

I have never seen this type of response to sweetcorn in 25 years of fishing normally on this pond the bait sits for 4-5 minutes before a response whereas today the response was instant as soon as the float set.

I am open to ideas as to how to offer the bait to get a good take response instead with the speed of interest in the bait maintained

It is possible that you are getting line bites a lot as fish feed around your hookbait. It is also possible that small fish are attacking your shot that are spaced down the line. I have seen this happen a lot even on the river. I would try bulk shotting rather than spacing them out as you are not fishing on the drop.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

It is possible that you are getting line bites a lot as fish feed around your hookbait. It is also possible that small fish are attacking your shot that are spaced down the line. I have seen this happen a lot even on the river. I would try bulk shotting rather than spacing them out as you are not fishing on the drop.

Ta for that Idea I'd not thought of that

Now you say it I do seem to remember a lot of folk using hemp as an attractor for the silver fish so it's a distinct possiblity I'm back on Thursday so will change shotting plans