Notts/Derby venue advice.

Slickfish

Im trying to find a day ticket venue within the notts/derby ish area that has a decent head of barbel in.

The reason being the brother in-law is over and im taking him fishing, he's always been nuts about trying to catch barbel even though neither of us has ever actually caught one :rolleyes: . I haven't done a great deal of river fishing.

I know the obvious trent/derwent but what stretch?, are day tickets sold bankside by baliff? etc.

I have asked in local tackle shops and i truly dont understand how no-one seems to be able to give me a solid answer on this one. There always seems to be a uncertain pause :rolleyes: .

Im trying to find a day ticket venue within the notts/derby ish area that has a decent head of barbel in.

The reason being the brother in-law is over and im taking him fishing, he's always been nuts about trying to catch barbel even though neither of us has ever actually caught one :rolleyes: . I haven't done a great deal of river fishing.

I know the obvious trent/derwent but what stretch?, are day tickets sold bankside by baliff? etc.

I have asked in local tackle shops and i truly dont understand how no-one seems to be able to give me a solid answer on this one. There always seems to be a uncertain pause :rolleyes: .

I will give you a great area to go to mate. See my threads or my blog in my sig and you'll see I catch a lot of Barbel there. I will tell you this evening when I have more time to write.

Edited by emaze

I will give you a great area to go to mate. See my threads or my blog in my sig and you'll see I catch a lot of Barbel there. I will tell you this evening when I have more time to write.
Edited by emaze

The uncertain pause is because ,1)most of the river from nottingham too burton on trent is controlled by clubs ,with no day tickets .but there are some dayticket places dotted about mostly below sawley weir down to victoria embankment at nottingham .2) in summer the barbel can be scarse in the daytime and because most dayticket waters only allow you to fish until darkness falls or 1 hour into darkness so limited night fishing

victoria embankment ,in nottingham is free fishing

wilford to carlton flyover used too be free and good but parking is a issue .

the best one that springs too mind is beeston/carlton weir ecellent barbel fishing ,on day ticket from beeston/carlton weir down too carlton flyover /A52 bridge

above the weir upto the nature reserve ,is dayticket and produces barbel .

beyond the nature reserve is long eaton & victoria's stretches upto the cranfleet canal ,its now members only or match booked only .

trent lock at long eaton is free fishing off the concreate steps ,its only about 50 yards long and theres boats mored up there .but its free .

the navigation inn at sawley stretch (below sawley weir) was dayticket ,but rumour has it its not anymore ,tickets was obtained from sawley tackle shop on tamworth road ,but since it shut it seems too be members only ,i heard that maybe stapleford angling was selling tickets .but would have too check too be certain .

there probably some i've missed ,but others will fill in the blanks.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Found a nice part of the derwent that is day ticket and had to day to remember lets say, proper comedy of errors.

Tried feeder fishing 10mm pellets for the Barbel, which resulted in afew Chub 3lb region. Now while doing this a coot managed to dive for some yummys from my feeder and get the hook in its leg, followed the hastle of landing and unhooking a bird(thank feek for barbless hooks). Never thought about hooking a bird on a feeder rig :rolleyes: . It ran of ok in the end though.

After all the specific targeting of barbel on the feeder I hooked one on stick float fished single maggot :rolleyes: , 2lb line, 18 hook. fish seemed to give up really easily,over came my brother in law with the landing net, netted it job done I thought, bringing the net in the fish vanished, it had somehow ripped a hole in the net, probably started my the bird earlier. so started the stupidity of playing a barbel that was still fresh, in a fast flow on light tackle through a knackered landing net on my own while Paul frantically set up another net. Christ knows how but I got the fish B) . Didn't weight the fish as TBH I think it had been through enough so I returned it ASAP, I'd guess it around 6lb ish.

It was a day to forget and to remember :huh:

a eventful day ,was you at borrowash ? ,sometimes its the minor disasters that mark out a day ,making it even more memorable and stays with you forever.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

a eventful day ,was you at borrowash ? ,sometimes its the minor disasters that mark out a day ,making it even more memorable and stays with you forever.

We fished just bellow the big mill in Belper, in the weir pool just the oposite side of the road.

Memorable is one word for it :rolleyes: , we are planning a return visit this weekend.

i know that place well ,in years gone buy .used too do a lot of chub fishing from there down too milford ,not sure thesedays about access or who runs the fishing along that part of the river .if you drive through belper and go past the big wier ,mill i think its the A517 ashborourne rod about a mile or so up that road is a turning on the left (i forget the name of the road) then a hundred yards or so it forks off into two ,the road too the left is the delightfully named (one road name i can't forget) chevin road ,i used too try different areas along here on different days ,down too milford corner the back up to belper getting onto the bank where i could ,i used too do as much time searching new likly spots as i did fishing them .worth exploring ,one place worth checking out is behind the supermarket at the bottom of the hill at the roundabout (with the petrol station) behind the supermarket is a small field cross this too reach the river there should be some pegs accessable .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender