River Salwarpe

Bacon butty

Come on folks, surely someone out there has fished this river? Had a walk along the banks yesterday and saw an OTTER!! A first for me, but I'm not sure if this was a good thing or not :rolleyes: as far as the fishing goes!

Saw some decent sized perch though.

Waiting in anticipation :)

Hi butty.

I would think that you refer to the B.A.A. stretch.

I haven’t really fished it for silver fish, but you have in there Roach, Chub, Eel and a few Dace, oh and of course the odd Esox. The last time I was there, Salmon were coming up a short way.

I would think that most baits would work, especially maggot and casters.

It’s a long walk ennit? And that stile I do not like.

I would think that your Otter was more likely to have been a Mink, they are prolific in that area. I haven’t seen an Otter there, yet anyhow.

Gave it a go yesterday, not much luck after a couple of hours, just minnows and gudgeon. Then decided to have a go for the pike and perch using the minnow and gudgeon, mercenary I know! This resulted in some decent predators and a great days fishing despite not being quite what I had in mind! Sometimes it pays to adapt to the situation rather than continue to flog a dead horse!!

Nugg, you've disappointed me, I so wanted it to be an otter!! How do you tell the difference between the two?

As you can see it's not difficult to mistake one for the other, the Otter is much more timid than the Mink, and is easily scared into hiding, but the Mink is more than likely to steal your bait right from under your nose.

I did say it was more likely to have been a Mink than an Otter as I have seen many Mink there but not an Otter. They come in many colours, the ones that seem to be more prominent in that area are black, therefore much more like an Otter.

MINK

the%20mink.jpg

OTTER

otter.jpg