Freezing Pike baits?

JIM HUNTER

This may sound like a really stupid question but here we go. What is the best method for freezing dead baits for pike fishing? The reason i ask is that when i thaw my baits they always seem dried out and lacking in colour. Is there an accepted method of freezing the baits in such a way as to ensure that when thawed they are in the best possible condition.

Thanks to all that respond.

There is absloutely no reason to thaw your baits when Pike fishing. Stick the trebles into the solid bait carefully so you don't bend the hook or damage the barb.

The bait will cast no bother and the hooks will hold a hell of a lot better.

The bait will defrost in a matter of minutes. If you don't believe me..cast a frozen bait and bring it back in after 5 minutes. It will be defrosted or defrosted enough that a Pike will gladly eat it.

I catch a lot of Pike within 5 minutes of the frozen bait hitting the water so clearly the Pike don't care. I've had many fish taken with a frozen bait scoffed on the drop too.

Small freezer bags are good, as is wrapping each bait individualy in cling film. The good thing about individualy wrapping is that you can prepare each bait with air, flavour, colours etc. before you freeze it. This means you won't have to try and inject, flavour or paint a frozen bait.

I also find that it is far easier to inject a bait with air if it has been wrapped in cling film first.

Wrap the flavoured/coloured bait up nice and tight with cling film. Insert the needle into the fish and carefully blow the bait up as far as it will go without bursting. Place a finger on top of the needle shaft whilst withdrawing. Keep the needle nice and straight when doing this. Most if not all of the air will remain in the fish which should be frozen immediately.

When you go to use the bait, it will be flavoured, popped up (without the use of environmentaly dodgy foams etc) and solid enough to cast for miles without worry.

http://www.paasglasgow.com/

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Anything will dry out when frozen unless it is frowen airtight. Get down to your local Tesco and buy some good Tupperware containers. Mention my name and you woon't get a discount but if you look convincing enough they will call the manager over.

By the way. Lying a dead flat is good if it is to be used for legering.

If you intend to wobble baits however I find that if you lie the baits over a rolling pin or a slim bottle in the freezer, they take on a nice curve. When you atach the fish and "wobble", the fish will turn, dive, splash the surface and generally act like a sick or injured fish. The curved baits only last a short while but I would say that Pike tend to hit a wobbled bait in the first or second cast anyway. I have never seen the point in continuously throwing dead fish around for more than 5 minutes.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I like to make up a strong salt water solution and freeze the baits in that. Enough of the salt water to float em.

No drying, no freezer burn, and I think the salty taste attracts the fish to some extent. Certainly doesn't put em off.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President