(CARP)- pH levels and bait.

Guest Chris Shaw

Guest trent.barbeler

Rob,

Nice post's.

Seeing as I am an ex-baitdealer who has actually studied fish nutrition over many,many years on a AMATEUR basis through the IFM and my late father who bred Japanese Koi Carp, I can tell you that you are spot on.

A fishes dietry needs are literally light years away from what is being talked about here.

Ph levels, complexes, attractants, flavour solvents, amino compounds, and on and on and on are terms coming from where? The bait industry.

Flavour creation is complex due to the vast amount of chemicals involved in the blending proccess and the vast amount of flavours made worldwide. Some for the petfood industry and most for human use.

Pre-digestable amino liquids are formulated for human use, NOT FISHES. Their original use is mostly as an aid for human appetite. i.e. Recovery after serious illness or operation. Remember, such products are based around the human digestive system and definitely not a fishes.

As for all these attraction theories, where is the original source of such information? Studies made on wild fish, captive bred fish or a cleverly written bait dealers catalogue?

Guest trent.barbeler

Rob,

Nice post's.

Seeing as I am an ex-baitdealer who has actually studied fish nutrition over many,many years on a AMATEUR basis through the IFM and my late father who bred Japanese Koi Carp, I can tell you that you are spot on.

A fishes dietry needs are literally light years away from what is being talked about here.

Ph levels, complexes, attractants, flavour solvents, amino compounds, and on and on and on are terms coming from where? The bait industry.

Flavour creation is complex due to the vast amount of chemicals involved in the blending proccess and the vast amount of flavours made worldwide. Some for the petfood industry and most for human use.

Pre-digestable amino liquids are formulated for human use, NOT FISHES. Their original use is mostly as an aid for human appetite. i.e. Recovery after serious illness or operation. Remember, such products are based around the human digestive system and definitely not a fishes.

As for all these attraction theories, where is the original source of such information? Studies made on wild fish, captive bred fish or a cleverly written bait dealers catalogue?

Guest trent.barbeler

Rob,

Nice post's.

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by trent.barbeler:

Rob,

Nice post's.

Ph levels, complexes, attractants, flavour solvents, amino compounds, and on and on and on are terms coming from where?  The bait industry.

Flavour creation is complex due to the vast amount of chemicals involved in the blending proccess and the vast amount of flavours made worldwide.  Some for the petfood industry and most for human use.

Pre-digestable amino liquids are formulated for human use, NOT FISHES.  Their original use is mostly as an aid for human appetite. i.e. Recovery after serious illness or operation. Remember, such products are based around the human digestive system and definitely not a fishes.

As for all these attraction theories, where is the original source of such information?  Studies made on wild fish, captive bred fish or a cleverly written bait dealers catalogue?    

I do not get involved in all this pH stuff, I had read about this a while back and just wondered what others thought or knew about it.

Seeing as you state that it is all light years away from what a carp/fish reqires, what in your findings does a carp/fish require?

I also agree that best part of all this wonder bait stuff does come from the bait industry, it is all to easy to supply a group of friends with tons of the stuff, fill a lake in with it, catch everthing in sight then put on the market as the next wonder bait. Oooop's forgot the supply of bait company T-shirts.

A friend of mine a while back had great success using pasta shell's, cooked of coarse, all his fish came to float fishing. Ever tried flinging a hair tied cooked pasta shell 100 plus yards. Other good ones are

tinned broad beans and tinnned butter beans, these are no different to anything else, bait up with them and they work even better.

I have always said, go into any supermarket/healthshop and you can buy ingredients to make some incredibly effective cheaper than bait company baits.

Oh one last thing, you all forgot the good measure of LUCK to get the B******T chemical reaction going.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 02 July 2001).]

Guest Chris Shaw

Double post in error.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 02 July 2001).]

Guest RobStubbs

Chris,

The only thing I can remember is that carp do best on a protein content of something like 30%. I did intend doing the IFM course (even got all the books) but couldn't be bothered in the end.

Rob.