Prescription Polaroid Varifocals

Leon Roskilly

13 years ago I bought a pair (see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/reviews/optilabs.htm ).

Used for fishing, cycling and driving and a lot more else as well, I was impressed that the lenses remained scratch free over the years and, despite having gone through a number of plain prescription glasses with a changing prescription, they continued to do the job as far as fish/feature spotting was concerned.

However, as my reading glasses part of the prescription became stronger, I found I was having to remove them for fiddly close-up jobs on the bank (like tying on a fly, or a size 16, or baiting with hemp).

I also found that I was having trouble seeing small flies at distance so tended to use my normal glasses when fishing dries (and miss the sight of a fish coming up for the fly :().

However, it was when the rubber bridge parts disintegrated, making them uncomfortable to wear that I realised it was time to bite the bullet and buy another pair incorporating my latest prescription.

So, it was onto the optilab website to enter my order, and I emailed them a copy of my prescription rather than entering the details direct (I wasn't too sure of the optician's handwriting).

No need now to have a dummy pair marked up apparently as 'the machines figure it all out'.

I was a little dubious, but when they arrived in the post today.....

....perfect :)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Of course I had to give them a whirl, so went down to the lake yesterday.

I spotted a trout down deep, close in, that would normally have escaped my attention.

Casting the cats whisker out past it sent the trout gliding down deeper, but as the lure came back in it caught the trout's attention, and it started to follow.

I quickened the retrieve and the trout moved closer.

Running out of water I put on some more speed and the trout made up it's mind and grabbed the lure, exploding water in the shallows as it realised its mistake.

Without the polaroids I wouldn't have been able to see the fish in the first place, let alone watch it interacting with the lure as it came in, so the new glasses were essential in the capture, and I went home happy.

(As the sun sank, lighting up the reeds and bushes on the far bank, the brown of the lenses added an extra goldness to the scene and accentuated the detail and colour of the sky, the landscape and watery reflection. Worth the money just for that).

optlab048e663c7215e2bb8134248676775c53t1.jpg

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust