Florida, Port Charlotte

Paulg

I'm off to Florida in 4 weeks, spending one of those weeks in a house at Port Charlotte. The house backs onto Eden Lake, which looks a nice size on the map, and apparently has fish, and is fishable.

Can any of the US members of the forum give me any pointers in terms of what species I can expect, and how to fish for them. I'm taking a telescopic 2lb TC Carp rod, reel with 10lb or 12lb line, a few lures, hooks etc. I was thinking of doing some lure fishing as well as bait fishing with corn, meat etc.

Any help would be most appreciated :cool:

Are there any Florida fishing forums where I could ask the same question?

Regards,

Paul

Paulg - excellent fishing area.

First off, don't expect carp since other than some stocked, sterile grass carp, there don't seem to be any in Florida below the very upper section. No idea why but that's the general experience.

Next - for your lure angling I strongly suggest you wait until you arrive to get lures. The tackle shops will be selling the designs and colors that work best there. And compared to the UK, lures in the US are very cheap. You might also want to consider getting a lure rod/reel once you are there. Not expensive, wide range of choices, and more suited to having an enjoyable lure session than a rod made more for bait fishing.

You'll have some problems getting much information on targeting non-pred species since they aren't fished for much. But normal UK baits/tactics/locations you would use on an easy water should work fine.

Unless you object, you'll do well for Largemouth Bass and a few others using live bait. Most any tackle shop will sell a good selection. Just ask about "shiners" - minnows of a variety of species and you can usually get a good size selection to maybe 8-10 inches if you are after big fish. And lobworms (called night crawlers over here) do their usual job of catching most anything that swims.

For more local detail, you might post to the CAG forum - http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php

Carp oriented but lots of multi-species anglers and I know a few are familiar with Florida. They may be able to give specific suggestions and surely some will know about active Florida angling forums although most of those will be either sea fishing or largemouth bass oriented.

You will need a Florida fishing license but no rod license. Again, most tackle shops sell them.

From a quick look at the area, I'd say the river that divides Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda should have some good fishing but have never been there so can't give specifics.

I did find this on a canal with lakes with one named Lake Eden so maybe the same area you are visiting. http://floridafisheries.com/docum/E-4central.html

[ 25. June 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Paulg,

Here's a forum that should be very helpful... It's owned and moderated by Florida Sportsman Magazine. The link below should take you to the Southwest Florida fishing board. You will have to register (it's free) before posting. Be sure to mention that you're from England so that you get the detailed info you're looking for.

FS Magazine SW Florida Forum

I hope this helps. Tight lines and safe journeys!!

If you're feeling a bit flush and want to experience 'the real thing' then try booking a guide for the day. I did it last year and whilst it isn't cheap (can cost a couple of hundred dollars) you get to learn so much from an expert who knows his trade. We didn't catch much because the lake was really off (Florida frost for 2 days before), but I asked him to teach me about the different methods of fishing plastic worms and the like and it really was well worth it.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

And make sure you buy a licence and display it whilst fishing. The bailiffs have guns!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Thanks for the info people. I have gone onto the Outdoorbest Florida fishing forums, and have been given stacks of info, as well as THREE invites to go out fishing with people on their boats. Now that is a bunch of nice people :) One has offered to take me night fishing....for sharks :cool: This could be fun :D:D

Paul