Harris Angling folding lure nets.

Peter Waller

Most of us are quick to praise good tackle when it comes along, and pass it on to our fellow posters. But we are not so quick in highlighting what we consider to be less good.

A friend keeps his boat in my garden, and his net in my shed. His net being a Harris Angling folding lure net. Yep, for the money it is good value and the mesh, once it's run in, is great for lure angling. Its a folding job with a plastic hinge. Not overly strong but excellent for boat fishing when we don't use the frame to lift the fish. We normally bring the fish to the net, either unhooking in the net or lifting the fish out of the net and into the boat. We have both used it for some big fish, including to over 30 pounds.

But if it was lost I doubt either of us would buy another as a relacement though. Another friend turned up with the current model. Oh dear! Very questionable hinge and seemingly less durable frame than the previous model. No, I think we would look elsewhere for a replacent. And I certainly can't recommend that particular model to any AN poster. Pity, despite their prices, Harris is an excellent business to do business with and their other products are first class. But that net is one product that I would steer well clear of.

[ 28. June 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got one and have never bothered to take it out on a trip with me. I just think it is too flimsy and don't trust it. What a waste of money!

Paul

Hello Peter, i have the QED Huntsman net ( with plastic spreader block ) and it's given almost 8 years of regular use and is holding up well. I will have to replace it sooner or later as one part or the other will give up at some time.

Looking at the new style frame and hinge they appear to be metal / alloy with a nut and bolt through and i would of thought that stronger than the Plastic and roll pin block? harrisangling.co.uk/harr/produc...50&pf%5Fid=1212

I haven't seen the net apart from the photo on the link so i can't agree or disagree with your findings but i would of thought Sue and Chris Harris would of given some thought to the product before changing over styles.

I think the Huntsman style of net is good for netting fish at bankside or boat side then either as you said unhooking inthe net or lifting the fish from the net, i wouldn't use it for lifting fish of more than a pound or so ( which would be hand landed most of the time anyway )

Harris also do 'Loki' nets which look a lot more robust but in the Pike sizes may not be so easy to rove around with .

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

Paul_D:

I've got one and have never bothered to take it out on a trip with me. I just think it is too flimsy and don't trust it. What a waste of money!

Paul , Harris Angling would of refunded you if you had returned it ,it might of cost you a Fiver? in return postage but then at least you would only of wasted £5 rather than £50 for something your not happy with.I'm sure you could sell it on and get some of your money back.

harrisangling.co.uk//about.htm?...71NA6NTR1J5ETF0

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

quote:

Originally posted by Paul_D:

Harris Angling folding lure net

I've got one and have never bothered to take it out on a trip with me. I just think it is too flimsy and don't trust it.
What a waste of money!

QED !!*

laught.gif

DG :D:D

* QED=Quod erat demonstrandum= which was to be demonstrated i.e.'end of the proof (needed!)'.

[ 28. June 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

Most of us are quick to praise good tackle when it comes along, and pass it on to our fellow posters. But we are not so quick in highlighting what we consider to be less good.

A friend keeps his boat in my garden, and his net in my shed. His net being a Harris Angling folding lure net. Another friend turned up with the current model. Oh dear! Very questionable hinge and seemingly less durable frame than the previous model. No, I think we would look elsewhere for a replacement....
I certainly can't recommend that particular model to any AN poster......that net is one product that I would steer well clear of.

Heed the lure-fishing oracle!

I would add that it's also important to be very sceptical of any endorsements by anglers (and moderators of other fora linked directly to tackle suppliers :rolleyes: ) who are known to be biased

DG

[ 28. June 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

I'm sure you could sell it on and get some of your money back.

Richard, are you offering?

Paul

Richard, Harris is, I think, an excellent company to do business with, a grand pair of people, very ethical traders. But having had a hands on with the new model net I am less than impressed. The old model was, I think, fine. Certainly better than some very experienced pikers gave it credit for. But perhaps Sue & Chris can prove me wrong, I think the new model is unfortunately a retrograde step.

To genuinly address the balance, the friend who showed me the new Huntsmen also has a new Harris 'Pro' lure rod. He's over the moon with it and I can see why, and he's no beginner either.

Oh, and by the way, the Loki nets are Rolls Royce! And I can't afford one of them either!

[ 28. June 2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]