Abu Suverän lure rod

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

..... an ABU Suveran 8', now discontinued, a rod I would NOT part with, nor lend to a friend in case he also fell in love with it.

After PW (see above) and others spoke so highly of the Abu Suverän lure rod, I jumped at the chance to get one from a supplier that does discontinued tackle ...but having got it home and had a good look at it, I find that it's really quite a tough beefy rod that is rated at 10 - 30 gm lure weight so it's hardly light or ultra-light :confused: although I do of course realise that with braid it will probably cast lures weighing less than 10 gm but I can't see it casting some of those UL lures :mad:

I don't know if it's the same Suverän as PW has: this one says AGSE80-2M Code No. 918008 on the butt section just above the handle.

Feels a mighty powerful rod to me. Not really UL.

Would PW et al care to comment please, now that I've parted with my hard-earned dosh.

DG :o

[ 01. July 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The Diamond Geezer:

quote:

..... an ABU Suveran 8', now discontinued, a rod I would NOT part with, nor lend to a friend in case he also fell in love with it.

After PW (see above) and others spoke so highly of the Abu Suverän lure rod, I jumped at the chance to get one from a supplier that does discontinued tackle ...but having got it home and had a good look at it, I find that it's really quite a tough beefy rod that is rated at 10 - 30 gm lure weight so it's hardly light or ultra-light :confused: although I do of course realise that with braid it will probably cast lures weighing less than 10 gm but I can't see it casting some of those UL lures :mad:

I don't know if it's the same Suverän as PW has: this one says AGSE80-2M Code No. 918008 on the butt section just above the handle.

Feels a mighty powerful rod to me. Not really UL.

Would PW et al care to comment please, now that I've parted with my hard-earned dosh.

DG :o

Not sure that I suggested it as a U/L rod, although it was in the thread re rod balance that accompanied a U/L question.

Did you get the 8' model? Does the supplier still have anymore?

Strangely enough I have been using mine a lot recently. By modern jerk bait standards it is a joy to use, allowing for delicate presentaion. No, I won't part with mine, love it!

In the meantime you have a thoroughbred of a rod but I'm sorry if you feel mislead by my previous praise.

[ 02. July 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

quote:

Not sure that I suggested it as a U/L rod, although it was in the thread re rod balance that accompanied a U/L question.

Did you get the 8' model? Does the supplier still have anymore?

Strangely enough I have been using mine a lot recently. By modern jerk bait standards it is a joy to use, allowing for delicate presentaion. No, I won't part with mine, love it!

In the meantime you have a thoroughbred of a rod but I'm sorry if you feel mislead by my previous praise.

Thanks for clarifying that, PW.

Yup, it's the 8ft version and it was the last one and I paid £45 for it; I'm not sure it's entirely "as new", but after what you said, I thought it was worth the money. I'm going to fish with it at the weekend.

DG

£45.00, lucky begger! It was ABU's flagship model at the time and listed at £140.00. Paid £70.00 for mine, well pleased at that. Not a great fan of fixed spools for piking but I tollerate one just for the sheer sensual pleasure of using the Sevaran :D . Good luck at the weekend.

quote:

I have been using mine a lot recently. By modern
jerk bait
standards it is a joy to use, allowing for delicate presentaion.

PW

So as well as for normal lures (not UL!) and medium sized jerk baits, I might even be able to use it for my fave method, sink & draw, when I'm using small deadbaits? :confused:

DG