New fishery, where to start?

RJ

Ok, here is the problem...

Imagine a lake of about 15 acres, hand dug in the victorian times. It has a small dam, maximum depth of 11-13 feet, fairly rocky bottom but some areas of silt/weed growth, a few small beds of lillies, rushes, and a water ski course!!

Featurs include a large area of shallow water, bordered by reeds and trees, that looks a bit like a canal. Its shallow, maybe 18 inches to 3 feet with very deep silt. This opens into a weedy bay with a rocky bottom. In the North East corner there is a steep drop off some 3 rod lengths out, but little weed or cover. There is a dam wall in the North/North West corner with deep water close in, and a natural bank with reeds. Also there is a submerged wall about 3 feet high.

The water has always had Pike and Perch, but recently a stocking has taken place of Roach, Bream, Tench and Carp. The Bream were about 1-4 pounds, the Carp, biggest 6 pounds, the roach, 2-3 inches upto about 14oz, the tench, no information, but they did get stocked.

Now, I live in a desert when it comes to coarse fishing, and very few people fish for them. I have seen an 8 pound carp taken off the top, and seen roach topping. I have also heard of bream being taken on sweetcorn. Suprisingly, roach to about 12 oz have been taken by fly anglers fishing white mini lures for the Perch!!.

I cannot get maggots or groundbait locally and it is a 150 mile round trip to the nearest coarse tackle shop!!!!

What do I do??? How do I approach the fishing? With no others fishing it, I cannot ask people where they are catching etc. What baits do I use?

I was thinking of going in with feeders on 6 pound line with a 4 pound bottom, fishing sweetcorn or bread flake..watcha think?

Cheers in advance :)

Can you get vitalin locally? Sweet corn on the hook and vitalin in the feeder will get you off to a good start.

As to location, don't ask me :D right now I can't seem to get anything right!

good luck, Den

Should have added that vitalin does contain sweetcorn and plenty of other goodies.

[ 16. April 2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I'm admittedly very biased but it sounds ideal for stalking with lures. Topwater offerings like buzz baits - especially in the shallow areas - and a variety of other designs should really produce.

As a nice side benefit, you could spot coarse fish activity and begin to figure out where the fish spend time.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt..I am fed up with stalking it with lures..LOL. Its stuffed with small pike, but I have had Perch to over 4 pounds...which is nice.

Truth is, i have lived in an area where the only fish you can catch are Pike and Perch for some 17 years and I am fed up with them! Having said that, I will be trying for the bigger Perch that I have seen..rumours of fish to 6 pounds :) ..and I believe them!!

Poledark,

Vitalin was an option too..forgot to mention that..just bough a pair of Prodigy 1.5 tc roads for the place so small method feeders will be the main attack..see whats what :)

Firstly, ye olde cyprinids prefer warmer climes than your neck of the woods, particularly for spawning, so the lower average monthly temperatures in your area mean that you're up-against it a tad for starters.

That said, to me this sounds like a case for some mega pre-baiting ... at some preferred secluded swims.

Secondly, ground-bait is very easily made at home from standard ingredients. If that's not convenient, wherever you are, you can always order stuff by mail-order

As for hook-baits, with the weather warming-up slowly (down south anyway!), I'd try lobbing-out a few whole slices of bread as part of your pre-baiting, assuming there aren't hundreds of ducks around,... and then use floating crust or bunched bread as your hook-bait. I'd use greased mono or floating braid to take advantage of any wind to drift your bait further afield (I assume boats are banned)

Floating breakfast cereals such as Sugar-puffs are also worth a bash, and they'll drift nicely in the breeze. Porridge isn't easy to keep on the hook :D

Worms abound in your area too, I'm sure, so that if you fancy some float or bottom fishing, try a nice bunch of worms ... a favourite of many species.

I think a lot of anglers would give their .... left arm, to be able to exclusively fish such a water ... nice challenge ... and where there are small pike there must be biggies too. As for 6 lb perch, don't hold your breath!

DG

[ 16. April 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]