trying my hand at lure fishing

rich

quote:

Originally posted by rich:

Shakespeare MENTOR 10' spin! I got it a while back for the occasional 2nd carp rod as it will fit in my match holdall so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Hmmh! Pretty-much OK or though maybe a tad too long and too heavy for cast 'n' retrieve all day long. Can't beat giving it a whirl, as you say .. you'll soon find-out for yourself about how well-balanced or not, it is, and how fatigued you do or don't get after a couple of hours; it's rated at 20 - 60 gm lure weight range i.e. very approx 3/4 to 2 oz. You may have to shell-out more than 17 squids for a pukka lure rod though ...in time :) , no dis re the Mentor

quote:

I used the wife's bait-runner (Okuma Force 40) as I was in a rush and it had some suitable line on it so it was probably a tad heavy. I'll use a medium fixed spool next time.

You've got it! A tad heavy as you say. There are some ace medium fixed-spool reels from Okuma for around 20 squids .. a steal IMHO

Also, lure-fishing at this time of year can be more than a tad hard-going :rolleyes:(see here)

There's an article HERE that might help even though it's mainly about drains etc rather than specifically canals.

DG :cool:

[ 07. November 2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

lure fishing...... I've got a few plugs from the tackle shop ..... rich

BTW, rich, the standard treble-hooks on most shop-bought lures are, sadly, too large, too heavy, too blunt and have barbs that are also too big.

Think about down-sizing them by fitting new, smaller, sharper, but stronger ones with whisker barbs .. attach them with strong split-rings .. and take care not to affect the lure's action too much... a careful balance required.

Some peeps worry (too much IMHO) about the lure's body masking the hook(s) but with sink n draw and dead-baiting with size 8s or 10s I don't get any probs, so why with lures that are usually smaller than my dead-baits.

Lastly and MOST importantly, pike may LOOK fierce and indeed they ARE fierce to PREY FISH, but they are very delicate when it comes to being tussled and handled by humans, as they use-up so much energy giving you a hard-time, so please handle them with extra care and respect and let them recover fully before releasing them

DG

[ 07. November 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

ditto I am just about to start exploring the world of lure fishing,just got back from purchasing my first lures,I too will be trying my luck on my local canal just 50 yards away from my house,hoping for perch but still bought some wire traces after reading the response to your post. :):)

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

Good luck Kendo! Please, just have a look at http://www.pacgb.com before you go. I know that you are after perch, and great fish they are too, but pike have a knack of snaffling perch lures. If you are in a pike free area then a 6 lb line is ideal, but if pike are present then go for a 12 pound mono, or better still, a 30 lb braid. Have a look in the A.N articles, I put a bit about Finesse / Ultra Light angling in there, you might find it interesting.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

have a look at
before you go.

I find though, that the PAC are more orientated towards dead-baiting than lure-fishing for pike, although their fish-handling tips do of course apply.

Better to also have a look at The Lure Anglers Society

Also for perch there's The Perchfishers

[ 09. November 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]