'Alien' species, to return or not?

Guest Adrian

Guest Adrian

Whilst I find myself sympathetic to those who cannot bring themselves to kill a fish,there is a feeling deep down that we need to be cautious where predatory species are concerned. New introductions must have an impact on the 'native' stocks, as they make a niche for themselves.

It seems strange that if it eats fish and has fur (Otters and Mink) or feathers (Cormorants), there are calls for control to protect fish stocks. If it is another fish, albeit an alien,we can forgive it.

According to the EA, illegal transfers are a real problem. I wonder how long before some selfish idiot who fancies a bit of variety goes for something really daft, Nile Perch, or Masheer perhaps, now they would stretch your elastic!. wink.gif

Cheers, Adrian