British Guyana Exploratory trip

Before I start this, I stress that this has nothing to do with our fishing/outfitting company and is a completely non-profit making venture. This is just to give anyone who wants to come along a chance at what should be a very reasonably-priced trip and to be involved in something different in the fishing world from the Guinea Pig stage upwards, other than our normal Peacock Bass trips.

A good friend of mine in Brazil was brought up in British Guyana and he lived and worked with the Indians there for many years. He has just asked me to join up with him and see if I could help in mounting a fishing expedition in early-mid February and mid March next year, way into the depths of the Guyana jungle on two seperate and very extreme rivers that will remain nameless for a while, but which are still included as part of the Northern Amazon Drainage system. If this works out, we will offer this trip in future as a package deal on our site, but for now, this is only exploratory and at the experimental stage.

As La Niña is hitting us hard in the main Brazilian Amazon Basin yet again with higher than normal levels for this time of year, it seems we just can' t guarantee to make set dates anymore with the weather patterns as they have been over the last four years. We want to try something with a difference while all this is going on. My friend wants me to offer this trip to anyone interested in joining the two of us into this remote wilderness (max. 8 anglers).

There will be no major creature comforts apart from a generator, electric lights, a fridge full of cold drinks and a blow-up mattress to lay your head in a tent (or hammocks should anyone want to, as I do). The nights are cool up in the Highlands and you would not be hot in bed! In fact it can get pretty cold in the mornings sometime up in the Highland rivers.

We would be living and working with the local Indians all the way and these guys know their waters like the back of their hands. After all, this is their back yard! Their fishing rigs are bows, arrows and spears!

Having fished the Brazilian southern side of the Guyana Shield over many years, I know most of the species and types of water that we will encounter on the opposite northern side of this mountain range.

There are so many fish species here to catch, from a variety of big Cats, large fruit and nut-eating Pacu (including a very rare, red/pink species to over 20lbs) and for the more dedicated lure anglers, the most aggressive preditors in freshwater, the ugly prehistoric Aimara or Wolf Fish (Traiarão)to 40lbs, Tiger Surubim Cats to over 30lbs, Vampire fish or Payara to 30lbs, smaller but extremely strong Peacock Bass that max. out at about 18lbs, the Pike-like Bicuda to 15lbs, Giant Black Piranha to over 7lbs, Pescada or Silver Drum to 12lbs and the infamous Matrincha to over 6lbs, along with many other amazing sport fish. And all this in roaring white water, rocks, braids and cascades, and also with plenty of slow stretches and deep holes. This is such a varied watershed and I cannot wait to try it all out!

This trip will involve alot of travelling, from Miami to Manaus to Boa Vista in the State of Roraima (1hr commercial flight from Manaus), van transfer to the town of Bonfim Brazil, crossing over bridge on the Itacutú river with quick stop at the town of Lethem (Guyana). Costums followed by same van transfer to Lethem airstrip and a charter flight to the indian village (from Boa Vista to camp about 4hrs in total). Onwards by boats to various camping set-ups during the trip and return home the same way but opposite. We will keep constantly on the move exploring these two rivers.

And of course there are loads of photographic opportunites of the more than plentiful wildlife (often seen crossing the river), flora, fauna and other sights here, and of course, lots of FISH! This is not a trip for the weak of mind, body or soul and will be tiring but extremely exciting at the same time.

We will be very comfortable even being so far away from anywhere else. The food will be plentiful and wholesome and we will often eat what we catch as well as what the Indians can provide us from the jungle. Yummm, Pacu ribs on the BBQ …..................

(we will have other meat, chicken, fruit, etc with us too).

I will have a better idea of our costs once I know the amount of people who would want to come (obviously the more people, the less our joint costs would be for charter planes into the jungle etc), which will involve van transfers, any hotels, charter flight into the jungle, all food, drinks, laundry, indian guiding and boats, fuel etc. while on the river.

If anyone fancies a jolly jaunt into a very different sort of jungle surroundings, or knows anyone who would, please email me. Again, this is helping a pal out and hoping some of you will join us in a fun trip.

Steve Townson – The Fish Finder

steve@Amazon-Angler.com

www.Amazon-Angler.com

Steve Townson - 'The Fish Finder'
steve@amazon-angler.com
www.Amazon-Angler.com

steve@africa-angler.com

www.africa-angler.com